The first PC and the first embedded system!

I have recently found some old literature for a system I built in
the late '60s.  It was adapted to be an embedded data processor for
some nuclear systems, largely to do with processing Carbon 14
dating data.  I have mounted the brochures on my page at:

  <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net/firstpc/

Re: The first PC and the first embedded system!

Fascinating. Gotta love those nixies ;).

It's also very impressive - the precursor of the HP programmable calculator,
perhaps.

Have you seen this:
  http://klabs.org/history/build_agc /

Apollo Guidance Computer rebuild project... I want one. (Actually I'd like a
complete recreation of the Apollo Command Module, and a means of generating
0G so that I can float around in it...)

Steve
http://www.fivetrees.com

Re: The first PC and the first embedded system!

Interesting. What about the Wang:
http://www.oldcalculatormuseum.com/d-wangcustom.html

They used a Wang computer in a lab where I was working in the mid-70s. By
then it had a CRT display and was programmed in BASIC.

Leon

Re: The first PC and the first embedded system!

A very nice comprehensive page.  From my viewpoint Wang appeared
shortly after we did, and was based on some sort of magic means of
computing logarithms (which I still don't know).  They had the
disadvantage of some inherent computational inaccuracies.  They
also had a lot more development and marketing than we did.  We
started with $25,000 total, and ran the debts up to about $100,000
before selling out to Picker and saving our financial asses.  By
that time we had built about 50 machines, and they weren't flying
out the door.  To me our marketing and financing failed, but the
technical part was fine.  The whole firm was 5 people until we
started production.  Then we got up to about 10.

Re: The first PC and the first embedded system!

for
mid-70s.
Do you still have any of the machines?

Re: The first PC and the first embedded system!

I wish.  When I went to work for Yale about 10 years later I found
a complete one under a bench.  About 1980 I offered it to the
Boston Computer Museum.  At that time I still had manuals and
schematics, and my memory was much fresher.  They ignored it.