TFT LCD to use outdoor

I'm using a display board from Adafruit [1]. It was ok, until I knew the device will be used outdoor, under the sun.

Of course, the visibility of that display outdoor isn't good at all.

Any suggestions how to improve its visibility? Is there a *similar* display that is good outdoor? Here similar means I should make minor changes (hw and sw) to adapt the current design to the new display.

Reply to
pozz

Il 14/09/2017 09:29, pozz ha scritto:

[1]
pozz

pozz wrote on 9/14/2017 3:29 AM:

I looked into this once and I found two solutions. One was a few displays that are just plain *very* bright. You can find them by searching for sunlight readable lcd displays. I don't know how similar they will be to your display [1], because you didn't include any info on it. They tend to be industrial grade and a bit pricey depending on your budget.

The other solution is e-ink displays which can't be read without light because they are passive. They don't emit light, only reflect it. They are normally sold into markets where they don't update very often because they can be very low power when not updating. They are also sold into markets where they update them frequently, because they are *very* clear with high contrast. I don't know if they offer color as yet. I thought I saw color units used in an upscale grocery store. The thing looked like a poster, but it was the cash register display! I haven't found any color units to buy commercially though. No video, but they can be updated fast enough for information displays. They can even be updated in small rectangles of the screen making them faster.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

These sunlight readable displays usually draw a lot of power for the backlight and can get quite warm. If used outside under the sun, this will pose the risk of overheating. You need the high brightness when the sun is shining on the display, so you have heating from the sun and from the backlight. An Alternative are transflective displays. At high ambient brightness the use he ambient (sun) light and reflect it inside the display. Usually they are also a bit pricey because this technology doubles every pixel, one for the transmissive part one for the reflective part.

--
Reinhardt
Reply to