Test Environment to support Development

Hello all,

  I have been task to design a PC test station environment to support
development of our embedded project. The idea is that a test station
would provide a set of features that would help in the testing of pre
and post black box development. Some of the ideas that come to mind is
be able to send some basic commands like

Read ( arguments might be start address and number of words )
Write ( argument might be start address, number of words and the data )
Download ( this would be a series of write commands that would download
OpCode)

  In addition, it would be nice to have a simple scripting environment
so some of the commands could be automated. I am wondering what other
features would be beneficial during the development/test integration
phase? Does anyone have some suggestions? Thanks

Mark

Re: Test Environment to support Development

On the assumption that you have a means of communicating with the hardware
in your product, I know of several establishments that use Forth as the
hardware bring-up and debugging tool even if they do not use Forth for the
application. However, Forth is suitable for many embedded projects and, if
developed in a rigourous development process, can be given a certificate of
conformity to its specifications. There are some links on my Forth page
that will get you started.