Telemetry suggestions

suffice.|

There's a plan, for example, that costs $0.20 / message domestic, slightly higher for Canada or Mexico. It's $0.10 per minute voice, with no other charges. That should work.

I have a "dry" DSL line at work, and yes, it's more, but not enough more to cover the POTS service cost, so it made sense to go that way, since there was no need for POTS.

Reply to
bbhack

3G

e as

data

If you can collect all data with internal sensors (sound, image, motion, etc.), then you can do all software and all Java. However, if you need external sensor inputs, it gets more complicated.

Most Android phones are USB device (slave), and as such, cannot initiate external triggers and/or events. So, you would need an external controller to collect data and "ADB push" into the phone. Android Debug Bridge (ADB) is a standard protocol in all Android phones. We are using a PIC24FJ256DA206 to do it.

You can have a Java App talking to a socket server or just polling some data location in flash memory. Furthermore, you are likely limited to user space access, without doing too much damage to the phone. We have gained temperory root access to a LG VS740, but it won't survive reboot. Making permanent root access risks bricking the phone. So, we are not there yet.

Reply to
linnix

no 3G

one as

r data

ne

Well, you could build something discriminate 'stepped' audio frequencies anda few photocells could detect lit areas of the screen. But yeah, not the same as digital I/O or serial out.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

s no 3G

phone as

lar data

hone

It also occurs to me, you should be able to emulate a modem with an Android phone.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

is no 3G

d phone as

lular data

st

phone

ter

if

the

Yes, if you provide the driver.

Reply to
linnix

is no 3G

d phone as

lular data

st

phone

ter

if

the

Only if the OP plans to put a Desktop/Laptop/Tablet there. If so, he could just use the native ADB interface, instead of a modem interface.

Reply to
linnix

re is no 3G

oid phone as

ce

ellular data

host

or phone

etter

no

r, if

g the

There's always a catch.....

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

I just installed the Android SDK on a 32 bit laptop. To say it is slow is to be understated.

Reply to
bbhack