TCP/IP Stacks for STR9

I am working on new design on the STR9 that requires Ethernet. I have ver little knowledge of Ethernet, as on previous applications we hav transmitted data (in a variety of protocol formats such as Modbus, DNP3.0 serially using RS485.

We are now wanting to do this over Ethernet, and there seems to be severa TCP/IP stacks available.

As I only require to send and receive data I was wondering if I could ge away using a free stack such as NicheLite free TCP/IP stack (available o the ST website) or do I require a full blown TCP/IP stack.

Anyone advice on this would be appreciated.

Regards

Dave

Reply to
dadams

dadams ha scritto:

Want kind of OS do you have? Have you evaluated the opportunity to use uCLinux?

If you don't want to use Linux you may take a look at lwIP:

bye

--
  _|/ Francesco Sacchi - Develer S.r.l., R&D dept.
   |\ http://www.develer.com/ - http://www.bertos.org

You might also evaluate the need for a TCP/IP stack, at all. If you can get by with a fixed IP address (no DHCP needed) and use simple UDP packets (no TCP dance) then a network appliance is surprisingly easy (and small). A semi-fixed IP (e.g., user configurable and stored in EEPROM) is only slightly more work.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Dave, for simple TCP/IP client server applications NiceLite is OK. Even Web servers are possible. For protocols like EthernetIP the full (and expensive) version of NicheStack IPv4 is required.

Regards Heinz

Reply to
Heinz-Jürgen Oertel

very

DNP3.0)

several

get

on

Thanks for you response. The choice of RTOS is another descison I need t make on this project, and UClinux is one of several i'm looking at.

Reply to
dadams

Note that ucLinux is *not* an RTOS. It's suitable for larger embedded systems, but it's only soft real-time, requires a 32-bit processor and memory sizes measured in MB. If that makes sense for your application, go for it - ucLinux has all the networking stack you could wish for.

For small stacks, two popular choices are lwIP and uIP, both by Adam Dunkels (lwIP is bigger and faster, uIP is smaller and easier if you have no OS).

Reply to
David Brown

Look at uC/OS-II and uC/TCP-IP from micrium.

Scott

Reply to
Not Really Me

After selling a stack for 10+ years

I have come to the conclusion that the value of a commercial stack is in the support. There's a vast amount of free stuff available which has driven down commercial pricing by a huge factor in the last ten years.

As ever with commercial stuff, the key question when evaluating the support is "Do you get to to talk to a developer?".

Other issues are whether the stack already has an STR9 Ethernet driver, and a particular question should be the Flash and RAM requirements with your options defined, e.g.

1) Do you want a DHCP client (yes), 2) Do you want an NTP/SNTP client - it may eliminate the need for an RTC, 3) how many simultaneous sockets/connections - affects RAM usage, 4) Do you want servers like Telnet and HTTP, or is your app client only? ...

Stephen

--
Stephen Pelc, stephenXXX@mpeforth.com
tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691