TCP/IP Chip!

Is there any chip available with serial interface (three wires) for TCP/IP connectivity?

ali

Reply to
Ali

TCP/IP is a software protocol.

Do you mean a chip with serial interface to connect to ethernet ?

Google for Atmel ENC28J60.

Reply to
Donald

Donald! thanks for pointer, yes you are right i'm asking a chip with serial interface for ethernet connectivity. Let me have a look at Atmel ENC28J60.

ali

Reply to
Ali

Do you mean Microchip ENC28J60?

It's a nice chip, and it's also available as a complete board (with Ethernet transformers and the like) for $40. The serial interface is SPI.

Reply to
mc

Yes ENC28J60 is provided by MicroChip not Atmel. Actually my system design is lacking pins thats why i want to have serial interface (SPI etc..). Do we have any other option ? with minimum pins required to interface.

ali

Reply to
Ali

Opps, Yes Microchip.

I would look carefully at this chip.

It draws over 100ma in idle.

The data sheet states 240ma active current.

donald

Reply to
Donald

Lantronix XPort Digi ME

Reply to
Richard H.

Even more current consumption..... (>300mA)

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

Yep, a lot of power for just 10Mbps. IIRC, even more than a 10/100 like ASIX.

But then power was not one of the OP's criteria, and how many Ethernet devices are battery operated? Of course, if he only has 3 pins to spare, there is the small question of whether he's got resources for an entire IP stack.

At $50 a pop there are also other (larger) module options like Rabbit. But at this price, why not switch micros and get a 32-bitter with everything built-in for less?

Most of the requirements are missing here...

Reply to
Richard H.

The device is stationary so power consumption is not an issue here, well guys let me elaborate my problem. We want to provide a web interface of our RFID reader, at moment it is providing only RS232 interface for hosts. From reader to host the data will be always less then 13 bytes and from host to reader it would be even less than that. So I'm not looking for super higher data rates with encryption etc..

whether he's >got resources for an entire IP stack.

Yes that is an issue here, we never though that we would be having web interface of our gadget but now management wants to add that as well. We are lacking I/O pins from our MCU but maximum 6 to 7 pins can be spared for that. As Lantronix XPort and Digi ME only requires 5 fundamental pins [

] ofcourse except power and ground but its kind of expensive solution to us.

ali

Reply to
Ali

TCP/IP implemented in hardware with I2C interface:

Regards, Richard.

    for Cortex-M3, ARM7, ARM9, HCS12, H8S, MSP430 Microblaze, Coldfire, AVR, x86, 8051 & PIC18 * * * *
Reply to
FreeRTOS.org

"Ali" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

Can build one with the AT91SAM7X128/256 and a TCP/IP stack.

Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson
Ulf Samuelsson

whether he's >got resources for an entire IP stack.

You will need a rudimentary HTTP server on top of the TCP/IP stack. I doubt that the plain TCP/serial interface provides the proper sequencing of request and response disconnects for Web service.

Also, there's a need for storing the Web pages themselves somewhere on the system, either in the converter unit or the client behind the serial connection.

Been there - done that.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

The Lantronix devices have a webserver built in. You can load web pages into the device.

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

The Tibbo EM100 module uses 5V level serial async interface i.e. RX, TX and GND.

take a look at

Viktor