Symbol Browser

Hi, I use CCS 3.1 (XDS510-USB Emulator) and I face some problems with the debugger.

1) After loading the .out file (Symbols) , The symbol Browser Window is listing the Labels & Files, but not the 'Functions', 'Globals' and 'Types' fields. Why ?

Is there any fix available for this version of CCS ? OR Am i doing something wrong ?

2) Further, I am placing the cursor in a correct/valid place say 'Run to Cursor', I get Error Message . The Error Message that is popped is as below : " Cursor is not on a valid line. Please move cursor to a valid line and try again. "

Where is the problem here ?

Kindly let me know some solutions .

Thx in advans, Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
karthikbg

I don't believe that CCS lists the Globals, functions, types, etc fields like a lot of PC source code browsers do. I may be mistaken here, but one of the guys who works for me is always complaining about the lack of these types of features that he is used to from his PC work.

Your "cursor is not on a valid line" message sounds a lot like you have tried to place a breakpoint or something on a line that isn't code, such as a compiler directive or comment.

I doubt if you are doing any thing wrong, it is probably just a case of needing to get used to the tools.

Reply to
Noway2

ut

I find the following in the pdf titled - "CCS-gettingstarted.pdf" in section 2.5.6 and i am expecting to find the same in the CCS. But, Practically, CCS Symbol Browser behaves really Strangely :( :( !!

" 2.5.6 Symbol Browser The symbol browser is a powerful tool that allows you to access all the components in your project with a single click. Select it through View=E2=86=92Symbol Browser. The symbol browser has multiple tabs: in this section we will discuss the Files, Functions, and Globals tabs. When you expand the tree in the Files tab, you will see the source files in your project. A file is automatically accessed when you double-click on it; the same holds true for the Functions tab. The Globals tab will allow you to access the global symbols in your project. For more information on the Symbol browser, please go to section 5.2.9. These few steps have allowed you to successfully create, build, load and debug your first Code Composer Studio program. "

I accept your point. But, I have kept on a valid C Code only. Its really Strange :( :( !! I am not able to place breakpoint in none of the places in C file. As i was unable to beleive my eyes, i tried placing breakpoints on various lines of C Code. The result is same for every line in C file :(:( It displays " Breakpoint Manager: The target will not be run as the breakpoint could not be moved to a valid line at main.c line 211. It has been disabled. " and pops up the following error message " Cursor is not on a valid line. Please move cursor to a valid line and try again. "

Further, If i view the list of Breakpoints, i find that in the Breakpoints window, the breakpoint placed in assembly is active . But, the breakpoint placed in C file is listed but it has displayed '???' at the end .

I found another interesting thing while analysing this : I have enabled 'Mixed Source/ASM" under the dropdown menu of 'View" . But, I find that only the "Assembly step in" and "Assembly step over" options are enabled. The other options of "Source step in" and "Source step over" are disabled . These options come uder the "Assembly/Source Stepping" menu that gets listed from the "Debug" Dropdown menu. I suspect that this can also be one of the reason. I do not find any info regarding the Enabling of "Source Step In" and "Source Step Over" Options. :( :( . Does anyone here know about this ??? Can this be the reason ???

Where could be the problem ? Really Strange !! :( :( Kindly let me know some solutions .

Thx in advans, Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
karthikbg

Also, (and more likely,) the cursor may be at a valid source line for which no assembly instructions have been generated. A good optimizing compiler can change the instruction order, combine several "C" level statements by using more powerful or complex assembly instructions, etc.

Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group, return address is invalid ]
Reply to
Roberto Waltman

In your project options have you selected "No Debug" in the compiler options? You should make sure debug is turned on. Also, you may want to try a lower amount of optimization for debug purposes and once you've verified correct operation then you can crank it back up.

Reply to
Brad Griffis

at a valid source line for

I find that the Valid assembly instructions are generated for the corresponding Valid C codes on which i haved placed a breakpoint. I also came across some other clues in CCS manual . When i place a break point in a C code, My CCS Debugger does not place a breakpoint in the corresponding assembly code. But, i find that i have enabled the Mixed View(C Source and Assembly). Something is going wrong.

Pls find the info that i got from CCS below:

1) "When you set a software breakpoint, the debugger highlights the breakpointed line in two ways: a) It prefixes the statement with the character >. b) It shows the line in a bolder or brighter font. (You can use screen-customization commands to change this highlighting method.) If you set a breakpoint in the disassembly, the debugger also highlights the associated C statement. If you set a breakpoint in the C source, the debugger also highlights the associated statement in the disassembly. (If more than one assembly language statement is associated with a C statement, the debugger highlights the first of the associated assembly language statements.) "

Something is going wrong :(:(:( ??

Thx in advans, Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
karthikbg

be at a valid source line for

generated for the

Hi, Thx for your support . Finally, the problem got solved. I suspected that the problem might be mainly revolving around the Issue of symbols not getting displayed in the Symbol Browser Window in CCS (OMAP) . So, i went into analysing and debugging it. Once i made my .out file to get generated with the proper Symbol Info , i was able to view the Mixed Assembly & Source for my codes. I did find that my own Build File was overwritting the CCS settings/ Configurations and the .out file was not getting generated with the proper debug informations as the Build Options were not properly gernerating the debug informations. Finally , i am able to view Files, Functions, and Globals of my .out file. I am also able to see all the things enabled in the 'Mixed Source/ASM" option under the dropdown menu of 'View" . The options of "Source step in" and "Source step over" are Enabled now along with "Assembly step in" and "Assembly step over" options. I am also able to do CStep now. Further, in the Breakpoints List View, i am able to see the breakpoints of both C Source and Assembly (Now, There are no Question Marks displayed in the place of address of Breakpoint). The great thing is , i am able to do 'Run to Cursor' and Step-in C files.

Thx, Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
karthikbg