suggestions on where to start?

Hi everyone,

So, I've never done anything with embedded systems.  I know, vaguely,
what they are, but I am looking for more detailed information.  Can
anyone suggest any good starting points?  Thanks.

--Matt

Re: suggestions on where to start?
Your question is pretty vague...... to put it nicely!

An embedded system is anything with a Microprocessor that isn't a PC,
and are usually under 1 GHz.

What are you trying to do with an embedded system?

Eric

Re: suggestions on where to start?
Hi Eric,

Sorry I didn't give more details!  I would like to create a very, very,
very small system which still maintains reasonable speed, and do it at
as low a cost as possible.  Think a system that would be powerful
enough to load linux and run an application not unlike zsnes,  be able
to read and write data from flash memory, receive input from a keyboard
and have a video out.  My main goal is to avoid using a hard drive of
any sort - that adds in a lot of energy consumption, slows things down,
and adds cost.  Am I even being realistic here?

Thanks,

Matt

Re: suggestions on where to start?

very,
at
able
keyboard
down,

You might want to have a look at http://www.embedded-linux.org /

Re: suggestions on where to start?

Very ambitious if you are new to embedded systems. You'd be better off
starting with something simple like a small PIC or AVR system. I've got some
examples on my web site.

Leon
--
Leon Heller, G1HSM
http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller

Re: suggestions on where to start?

It appears that you are describing something close to a general
purpose computer system.

An "embedded system" is, to me, a microcontroller or microcomputer
systems hidden inside some other equipment, so that the user of that
equipment is not really aware of the computer.  For example, modern
cars have many embedded systems (engine control computers, anti-skid
braking systems, etc...) hidden within them.

I don't think a system that "can load linux and run an application"
describes an embedded system - but it might  be a "dedicated computer
system" (I don't know what "zsnes" is).

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

ZNES is a super nintendo emulator. If the OP wants to make a portable
SNES, he's better off buying a GBA and saving the time. As cool as it
would be to build your own, you've goto to consider the time plus the
costs of bandwidth from being slahsdotted if it works.

Re: suggestions on where to start?

  How 'bout http://www.gumstix.com/ ? Dunno how to do TV out, but it
comes with Linux and apache already loaded. 200 or 400 MHz CPU, costs
$100-$185, the size of a large pack of gum...

          -Ben
--
I am Ben Cantrick. I still think the AnimEigo BGC dubs suck.
To foil spammers, no e-mail adress will be given here. (Spammers also suck.)

Thanks for this link, it's actually really neat.  After reading over
the nice (and not-so-nice) comments on this thread, I've realized I may
be barking up the wrong tree, and am instead going to break out my old
circuit design books.  Assuming I can find them.  It's been, oh, eight
years since I last did anything like that.  Thanks, though, for the
cool link.

--Matt

Re: suggestions on where to start?

Yes, if you've a bit of Windows or better DOS experience. Get Ecos
(free) and the book about it (some tens of dollars). Use an old PC as a
development platform, and enjoy yourself.

Paul Burke

Re: suggestions on where to start?

IIRC. There's a free version as well.

http://ecos.sourceware.org /
http://www.ecoscentric.com /

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I know how to get the
                                  at               hostesses released! Give

Re: suggestions on where to start?
Maybe I could post snarky and otherwise useless messages on usenet,
then sit back and enjoy my smug sense of self-worth?

Re: suggestions on where to start?

And for extra credit,

Computer Science is to Embedded Systems as :

A) Burger flipping is to liberal arts.

B) Waiting tables is to English.

C) Landscaping is to PolySci.

D) Unemployment is to History.

E) All of the above.

F) I want to kill myself.

Re: suggestions on where to start?

 Circuit Cellar magazine Philips arm7 lpc2xxx design contest

 http://www.jandspromotions.com/philips2005/kit.html
http://www.jandspromotions.com/philips2005/rules.htm

The board they are giving away is a keil mcb2130 without jtag debugger
http://www.keil.com/mcb2130 /

Nice board(worth US$150) or chips local distributor
sells the keil board for Aus$272

compilers

commerical limited editions
16KB limit for keil compiler, none for gcc (can select which one to use
under
options)
www.keil.com/arm

 IAR Kickstart edition has a limit of 32KB
http://www.iar.com/Products/?name=KSDKLPC2138

 Imagecraft
http://www.imagecraft.com/software /
 45 days then 10KB offer an extension if you use it in the contest and
chance to
win a license

 Cross works (gcc + ide)
http://www.rowley.co.uk/arm/index.htm

free compilers

 plain gnu arm
www.gnuarm.com mac , win or linux + links to resources

 or gnu arm
http://www.codesourcery.com/gnu_toolchains/arm.html

 gnu arm + eclipse
http://www.newmicros.com/download/appnotes/ARM/TiniARM_Dev_Eclipse.pdf
 how to set them up

I prefer the keil ide + gcc or gcc + eclipse ide

For programming

 The serial programmer from Philips is easy to use and works well over rs232
http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/files/products/standard/microcontrollers/utilities/lpc2000_flash_utility.zip

the lpc213x chips have a serial bootloader

 links for datasheets
http://www.semiconductors.philips.com/markets/mms/products/microcontrollers/product_catalog/16_32bit/index.html

http://www.open-research.org.uk/ARMuC /
http://www.keil.com/lpc/lpc2100_overview.asp