suggestions for computer science background in embedded field

[...]

  1. Any talks about the quality are pointless unless the price for this quality is also mentioned.

  2. The high price does not imply the high quality automatically. Same applies to ISO and all kinds of other formal procedures.

  1. The price that you are willing to pay for the quality is determined by the cost of mistake.

  2. The goal of the project is to deliver a device to a customer, not to prove a point or create a documentation. The project should be done for good, on time and within the budget. The quality control is not the goal in itself, but a mean to accomplish the aforesaid. Remember that the cost of the establishing and maintaining the quality goes to the project overhead.

  1. The technical perfection is only a part in the success of the project. Perfect is the enemy of good enough.

Thank you, Colin Paul Gloster This gave me a good five minutes of laughter :))))

Vladimir Vassilevsky

DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant

Vladimir Vassilevsky

True. Any HW designer who has to deal with embedded projects must understand the basics about the innards of, for example, a simple micro controller. Things like how interrupts are handled, why you can't always expect the typical timer register to "understand" its new value in less than x clock cycles and so on.

That can get really tricky when working on rock-bottom cost designs. Those where the weird stuff has to happen, such as a uC turning it's own power supply on and off because a series regulator would have come in five cents over budget. Or when the whole processors must run load-synchronous to some other signal for internal EMI reasons. Did a few of those. Without really close cooperation the result will be either silence or a loud kaboom.

I am on the HW side of the fence but I have climbed over it numerous times ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Wherever I worked they paid top Dollar for hotshot EEs.

Salary reviews are often based on whoever volunteers to give their information out. That can twist things.

[...]