STMicroelectronics Introduces ARM9 Microcontroler with 2.1 Mbytes Flash

STMicroelectronics has introduced an ARM9 with up to 2.1 Mbytes of on-chip Flash and 96 Kbytes of RAM:

Embedded Ethernet, lots of other good stuff.

FYI, we just completed a massive upgrade of the Microcontroller.com news section. After publishing the backlog, future articles will be published in a "more timely" manner. Also, additional features will become noticeable in future news articles.

Bill Giovino Executive Editor

Bill Giovino

Flash and 96

section. After

manner.

It is not "exactly" 2.1 Mbytes of on-chip Flash. This is a dual die device with a separate flash chip in the same package. They say it is single cycle access for sequential execution and has a "hefty" 15- entry branch cache for branch prediction. That probably works as well as the similar flash accelerators on other chips in this speed range.

Reply to
rickman

Flash and 96

section. After

manner.

Hopefully it works better than the current STR9 flash interface does. The STR9 ARM9 is not faster than a 60MHz LPC2xxx ARM7.

Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

hip Flash and 96

s section. After

mely" manner.

s.

Don't even get me going about how slow the external memory bus is. My 4 year old 60Mhz LPC2294 beats the snot out of a receint 96mhz STR912 design...

Reply to
typhon62