Startup Advice

It's been quite a while since I've seen the embedded side of development and I'm hoping to make a transition. Since it's been so long I probably need to start from scratch. Finally, the question: What tools would you suggest to someone getting started in development on their spare time (i.e. - not much money)? Compiler - Chipset - Project Suggestions -

etc. Thanks for your replies. Please keep 'em short.

Reply to
Bender

Bender said

The best advice I can think of is to have a customer and an application in mind before selecting anything.

Casey

Reply to
Casey

I have to agree with that. Look around at what companies need in your area. Different areas seem to have different needs. Maybe it's high-end 32-bit CPUs or maybe it's 8-bit microcontrollers. Maybe it's Defense, or Automotive, Internet, or Consumer Electronics.

Now, if you just want to monkey around with some stuff to get those old embedded brain cells working again, then I'd suggest Zilog's eZ8 eval systems. The single board is cheap ($50 last I checked) and comes with stuff like I2C, SPI, push buttons, and LED arrays attached so you can experiment a bit without soldering. It also comes with a C compiler. I'm more of an 8-bit guy myself. I also have a PICDemo-2 board from Microchip Technologies and an Atmel AVR STK500 board (but no C compiler). All are pretty cheap to get into.

Reply to
Gary Kato

No, definitely not. Customers want dates and figures. How could an unprimed beginner estimate development time and cost ?

Get a PIC or an AVR and download their manufacturers free assembler and development IDE. The bigger and faster machines rely on the knowledge gathered with a small ones, even if you then happen to have a compiler.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

Start with the PICs. There is so much support out there, you can't go wrong. Go to microchip, pick up a cheap starter kit.

Reply to
Andrew DeWeerd

Thanks for all the advice. Since I just want to putz a bit first I picked up a Zilog Z8 development kit.

Reply to
Bender