Starting out

Hey all,

I need some help getting started.  I really want to get into embedded
programming, but I don't know where to start.  I have a lot electrical and
coding experience so that's not a problem.  Anyone have any advice, links,
etc...

Thanks in advance.

Marc

Re: Starting out
http://www.embedded.com /

Re: Starting out

The Embedded Systems site, already mentioned, gets another endorsement.

You may also want to check www.avrfreaks.net. It is an AVR site but
there are many articles of a wider applicability.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA

Re: Starting out

Depends what you mean by "embedded". One possible low cost starting
point is to use an old PC, get hold of FreeDOS and perhaps CTask, and go
from there. Work your way up to ecos later.

The other end is to get hold of one of the vanishingly low cost PIC
starter borads, e.g. the 23 quidsworth from Farnell, and plough through
the examples.

Set yourself a project, perhaps one that will make you some money later,
or at least will be useful to someone if put in the public domain.

Paul Burke

Re: Starting out
Zilog has a nice starter kit for their eZ8, only $50. Comes with a C compiler
too. See www.zilog.com. The board comes with peripherals so you can play around
a bit with I2C and SPI devices. There's also an IrDA transceiver so you could
play around with that. Hooks up to a PC under Windows.

Site Timeline