Start Frame Delimiter

Hi All,

I would like to understand the real importance of "start frame delimitor" in a wireless protocol. Especially why do we need a fixed pattern like SFD when we already do some pattern matching to detect the beginning of frame in wireless? Why do some protocols have a SFD and some dont ? Is it jsut purely a matter of choice ?

regs ashu

Reply to
ashu

Start frame delimiters are most useful when a receiver can start up in the middle of a continuous data stream. Pattern matching for small start-frame delimiter is easier (and costs fewer CPU cycles) than trying to pattern match a larger data frame.

In addition to the frame delimiter, you generally need a checksum to exclude the possibility of the frame delimiter pattern occuring in the middle of a data frame.

Mark Borgerson

Reply to
Mark Borgerson