Standard term for "replace obsolete part"?

"Manage obsolescence issues"?

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

"Oh crap! Not again!"

--

Tim Wescott Wescott Design Services

Do you need to implement control loops in software? "Applied Control Theory for Embedded Systems" was written for you. See details at

Tim Wescott

Is there an common term for the process of modifying a design to replace obsolete parts? I though of "refresh" and "update", but they don't seem sufficiently descriptive.

--
Thad
Reply to

Until it reaches marketing, where it becomes "New and improved"

-- Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group. Return address is invalid ]
Reply to
Roberto Waltman

I thought "new and improved" meant "it only blows up sometimes, now".

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Our RMA dept. sometimes uses 'retired from service' ,usually with a descriptive reason, for parts that can't/should not be used anymore.

That may not apply specifically to your situation. Maybe you need something like 'replacement revision level' or ????

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

I thought that "Design Upgrade" was the most appropriate I heard, although "Re-modelling" might also be useful.

--

******************************************************************** Paul E. Bennett............... Forth based HIDECS Consultancy Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972 Tel: +44 (0)1235-510979 Going Forth Safely ..... EBA.
Paul E. Bennett

Currently involved with such a task the management types called it "Component Obsolescence Update".

Reply to
nospam

I've heard the process called "refreshing the design."

- Bill

Reply to
Bill Leary

It falls under the heading of "sustaining engineering" in our parlance. That term covers anything that needs to be done in order to keep an existing product shipping. By definition, the output of sustaining engineering is form-fit-function identical drop-in to whatever existed before the process.

Reply to
larwe

eem

Yeah, existing product. as long as it isn't a substantially different architecture. That would be something like 'offering an upgrade path'. pretty much a drop-in for a previous, lower performance product, that would NOT require a significant change in physical mounting and can run the same software. Minor changes with cabling might be allowed/expected and new functions would be available. But 'sustaining engineering' is a good term for keeping up with revisions I think.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan