ST STM8 Now supported by IAR Embedded Workbench

The IAR Embedded Workbench is based upon IAR's optimizing C compiler, and includes full support for all devices in the STM8A, STM8L, and STM8S families. Evaluation as well as free versions are available.

The STMicroelectronics STM8 is ST's low power 8-bit microcontroller.

Article includes a comprehensive list of all STM8 devices supported at this time.

Bill Giovino Executive Editor

Bill Giovino

includes full

on as well as

is time.

Fascinating that IAR supports a new 8-bit architecture. Makes me wonder why? There are two compilers on the market and both are pretty mature. Both are much lower cost or even a fraction of the cost. In the case of Raisonance, the same user interface RIDE7 supports pretty much every STM device on the market, starting with the older 8-bit (not supported by IAR) all the way to the ARM based 32-bit devices and even the PowerPC based SPC56xx devices. So, if a customer wants a decent compiler that supports the whole STM portfolio, why not using the Raisonance compilers and save a lot of money while doing it? Guess the writer of this article thinks the same:

For information on the Raisonance STM8 compilers check here:

The other mature compiler for the STM8 is from Cosmic.

Reply to
An Schwob in the USA

nd includes full

tion as well as

this time.

Oops, hit the send button prematurely

hp Cosmic also supports the ST7 and the ST10 / Infineon 166. Sp another compiler that supports many ST architectures. It lags the support for ARM though, which makes it more difficult to migrate from STM8 to STM32. But that avenue is covered nicely by Raisonance.

An Schwob

Reply to
An Schwob in the USA

In message , An Schwob in the USA writes

Mature? For a new part? :-)

OK the STM8 is a new part in a family of mature parts.

There is a proverb about accountants who know the cost of everything but the value of nothing. Ruskin also had a comment on it over 150 years ago.

BTW I have just had a client change from a cheap compiler to one 4 times the cost because the cheap one just did not perform and had too many bugs. Which has proved the point and delayed them by several months.

That is an open source web site and Raisonance do open source compilers... no connection there then? Again they consider cost rather than value. There is a lot more to a compiler than it's cost.

I suspect that the reason why ST got IAR to do a compiler for the STM8 is that they wanted a high quality professional system. There is no denying that IAR produce highly professional systems with solid components that can and have been tested to the highest levels. In fact they have been validated for safety critical use at 61508 SIL3 that I know of.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chris H

Hi Chris,

the new part has been on the market for about 2 years and compiler companies get the information about features and instruction set well ahead of time, so I would consider the 2 other compilers, Cosmic and Raisonance quite mature with 2 years of market presence compared to a compiler that is "10 days old :-)"

What makes you think that the STM8 compiler is open source? It is NOT, neither is the one from Cosmic. Both made by companies with 20 years experience with compilers in the embedded market and both survived the tough time so there must be something they are doing right. Don't get me wrong, I have worked quite a bit with IAR compilers (and Raisonance and Keil for that matter) and the IAR IDE workbench is very powerful. My point was that I am surprised that IAR tries to enter a small nice market that has already 2 reasonably strong players in it. My wild guess, ST has "convinced" them by what means ever to take on the ST 8-bit architecture. After all, ST does not participate n the Cortex-M0 game like NXP. And btw. I would consider a Cortex-M0 based device a direct competitor to the STM8 offering for any new design, just much more powerful.

Cheers, the Schwob

Reply to
An Schwob in the USA

includes

as well

time.

The STM8 core architecture is based on the ST7, and is about 20 years old.

The original, contraversial architecture is even older than that.

It is often the case in these situations that you have customers that have standardized on one compiler. Either many STM8 customers have asked for IAR, or one major STM8 customer has insisted upon it.

Less often, the compiler company recognizes that a particular microcontroller architecture has significant popularity and they take it upon themselves to support the architecture.

Bill Giovino Executive Editor

Bill Giovino

You may have a point. This is what IAR say about it

- STM "chose IAR" it says.

Reply to
Bob

hy? There are two compilers on the market and both are pretty

ST may have 'seeded' the release, and may have an eye the existing IAR user base - I see it includes AVR, for example.

The ST8 is pretty much a 'me too' 8 bitter, rather late to the table, so ST need leverage to get existing sockets and traction.

It also may have not been too much work, as IAR support Freescale already, and IIRC, the ST7/8 have roots in HC05.

-jg

Reply to
-jg

Also the customers may have been putting pressure on for other tools. There is a lot more to tools that this initial purchase price.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chris H

why? There are two compilers on the market and both are pretty

Don't forget the MSP430, a market pretty much owned by IAR. The AVR community has a strong inclination towards AVR Studio if I am not completely mistaken.

That's what I can't really understand in the first place. Why did ST come out with an STM8? I know that Cortex-M0 was later but looks like a definite winner when comparing the two cores.

Dr' Schwob

Reply to
An Schwob in the USA