ST announce their Cortex-M3 micros

See:

(and:

:o)

The Cortex-M3 marketing has trumpeted greater interoperability between vendors as one of the M3 selling points, so it is interesting to note that the FreeRTOS.org demos for Luminary Micro and STMicroelectronics Cortex-M3 parts use exactly the same port code, while the port to each ARM7 vendor is slightly different. This is a real bonus for users, but perhaps gives the vendors a headache? It will be interesting to see how each vendor attempts to generate their product differentiation: price, performance, power consumption, peripherals, etc.

--
Regards,
Richard.

+ http://www.FreeRTOS.org
A free real time kernel for 8, 16 and 32bit systems.

+ http://www.SafeRTOS.com
An IEC 61508 certified real time kernel for safety related systems.
Reply to
FreeRTOS.org

Nice parts, differentiation will be mainly in the peripherals/power; we see the core as less important.

These move ahead of Luminary, in that they have 12b ADC, and offer CAN+USB in a 48 pin package, which is one combintion we have been looking for. [Core is pretty much 'don't care'] Power looks to be lower than Luminary as well. AVR32 is another candidate, but presently that does not show CAN+USB, nor 12b ADCs

Not clear on the shortforms if the 18MHz SPI is on ALL models ?

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

And with separate analog power pins as well, which is a major shortcoming of the Luminary. I complaint about this a few months ago, in this group or S.E.D.

Reply to
linnix

Very nice, seems to be the first ARM I've seen that runs from 2 to

3.6V power supply, core power of 2.3mA @8Mhz@3.3Volts running from SRAM is sweet. Bad no samples yet

Is this the time of the year for new processor introductions? Seems to be

Reply to
steve

I remember ST and TI pre-announced the M3 several months ago. Still waiting for the other (Texas) shoe to drop.

Reply to
linnix

Oops, Hard to believe, but it seems you cannot have CAN and USB working at the same time !?!

Data sheet has only this tag on ONE pin:

PA11/USART1_CTS/CANRX/USBDM/TIM1_CH4

Maybe there is a BUS driver for USB, they thought to use on CAN, but we'd happily add an external CAN (better ESD anyway), but they seem to have overlooked this ?

I'm hoping it is a data sheet oversight, and that no one would be DUMB enough to design a chip, that claims

"Up to 9 Communication Interfaces ? Up to 2 x I2C interfaces (SMBus/PMBus) ? Up to 3 USARTs asynchronous serial interfaces (4.5 MBit/s) providing: ? Smart Card ISO7816 interface, LIN master slave capability, IrDA capability, Modem control ? Up to 2 SPI synchronous serial interfaces (18 Mbit/s) ? CAN interface (2.0B Active) ? USB 2.0 full speed interface "

and then NOT allow CAN and USB operation at the same time ?!

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

on this core.

I guess they don't consider Luminary to be a leading MCU supplier. but it's a low blow regardless.

The thing I like the most about Luminary is their free code library. And unlike ST, they actually fix bugs in their library in a timely manner. ST has a reputation for dumping the code out quickly and then abandoning it.

Eric

Reply to
Eric