Source for small (e.g., PDA/phone) color touch panels

Hi,

I am looking for 10 - 20 small-ish color LCD touch panels for a "one off" project. In these small quantities, I suspect I may be better off purchasing a bunch of "appropriate" PDA's on eBay and cannabilizing them for parts (?). That could also be a win as the MCU therein already has support for driving the panel (so, I could just "talk to" the MCU instead).

Suggestions? Alternatives? Panels must be backlit and work with "finger" touch (not require a stylus).

Thanks!

--don

Reply to
D Yuniskis

STM32 Primer 2 ??? Not sure on availability, and I haven't used it myself, but it was pretty cheap at one point ... has touch screen, usb, and MEMS accel. ... ???

Cheers, Rob Sciuk

Reply to
Spam

Digikey shows them at ~$65/ea (I didn't bother to check the 10-off price). I suspect I can find abandoned PDAs for considerably less. Problem will be getting enough of them without having to pay S/H "per each".

Then, worrying about the quality of their individual screens (wear patterns).

Thanks!

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Look here:

, under TFT - the last one is 3.5" with touch option.

- while (1);

Reply to
while(1);

Em 17/2/2010 20:29, D Yuniskis escreveu:

If you decide to go that route, remember to buy, dissassemble, test and repack carefully a number of spares (if you don't think of a possible recurrence of the buyer), or stock if the returning customer is plausible.

Been there done that for a project and after one and half year when the need for three more parts arrived I almost went crazy to obtain the additional ones!

my 0.019999....

--
Cesar Rabak
GNU/Linux User 52247.

Sorry: 'for a "one off" project' (i.e., a "one time buy")

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Yeah, pricey. As I said, I figure I can get "everything" in a "used" PDA for considerably less. If this was a full prodcuction run, then I could afford to "buy new". :-/

Reply to
D Yuniskis

The first thing that came to mind was a replacement screen for the touch-half of a Nintendo DS from DealExtreme. Something like these two pieces?

That may still leave too much yet to be done.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

So, what's your question, then? Get that PDA, cannibalize it and you're done...

- while(1);

Reply to
while(1);

Yes, that's how it's done. And it is backlit. If you don't have a DS Lite, buy one. Play with it, see how it "feels" to you. Examine the backlighting, the touch, etc. You can even _develop_ code for it, as there are groups who have put together a fairly nice toolset to do all that with some readily available "cartridges" you can plug into it. You get two ARM processors in there, plus some memory, and so on, as well as two displays, one that is touchable, buttons, and an RF link that is compatible with most routers.

DealExtreme offers some small screwdrivers to dismantle the DS Lite, as well (couple of dollars.) So you can pretty much go exploring.

Let me know how it looks. I'm very interested in either the positives or negatives you uncover. I'd appreciate the update, very much.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

Excellent! Yes. I assume the two are assembled together (sandwich) in the Nintendo? I.e., I would have to mechanically mount them atop each other.

I will look into the DS and see what it's capabilities are as well as what the likely interface would entail.

Thanks!

Reply to
D Yuniskis

My *question* was whether there were other "inspired" options to get the functionality that I desire. See Jon Kirwan's post, this date.

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Am 17.02.2010 23:29, schrieb D Yuniskis:

Look for displays with ILITEK ILI9320, ILI9325, ILI9328 controller chip. These displays are very easy to handle, have typically 240x320 pixel and

256k colors and sizes of 2.4" up to 2.8". Some also have resistive touch.

Googling ILI9328 spills out some sources. Maybe there is a dealer who is willing to send out a dozen units as paid samples.

Mouser has this one:

763-2.4240320SFCTXIT 17 pieces left.
--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Frank-Christian Krügel
Reply to
Frank-Christian Krügel

The NDS seems a bit pricey for what I want to do. Shelling out ~$2K for essentially 20 "screens" is way overkill. :< I.e., I'd still have hardware and software tasks in addition to fighting with a platform that wasn't *designed* to support "open" development (it appears nintendo has actively tried to thwart folks repurposing their device)

But, the screen+touchpanel may be a viable option. I have to research that some more -- the DX offering seems to be unclear on whether the cited LCD is, in fact, the LOWER display and not the UPPER. Even their "clarification" of the issue seems ambiguous :-/

I've also found a few surplus vendors from whom I might be able to order a small lot (25-50 units). That option, however, leaves me too much fexibility (!) in terms of picking a size, etc. :-/

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Dina 'nyone tell ya? Choice is wealth. And wealth is one of=20 the magnificent old men of the sea.

Reply to
JosephKK