Soldering Iron Recommendations

I lost my Weller solder station during a move. Buying a solder station seems
to be a pretty simple thing, except that last time I bought one, it was a
bitch finding new tips.

I've always stuck to DIP IC'S and components with leads wherever possible,
however, those days seem to be disappearing. So I need something good for
both.

Weller irons have always worked well for me, but I'm willing to consider
something else. I'd like a station that is grounded, ESD safe, with an
adjustable temp and a variety of easily obtainable tips.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Mike

Re: Soldering Iron Recommendations
seems

Ehhr...yes, Weller!
And tips can be bought anywhere. Digikey, Farnell and many others stock
Weller tips.

Meindert

Re: Soldering Iron Recommendations

possible,
for

I had a hell of a time finding tips for my last Weller station. I'm guessing
they went into production on the thing for a short while and then dumped the
product. I'd rather not to go through that again.

A good approach may be for me to buy a handful of replacement tips when I
buy the iron. Good tips last for a long time, anyway.

Thanks,

Mike

Re: Soldering Iron Recommendations

Weller was pretty common around here but for some years now it's
Metcal all over. It's not adjustable but it seems to be just as
allround as the Wellers, change to a tip suitable for the work at hand
and it just works. Changing tips is a breeze. We use the MX Rework
systems that's been around for quite some time so suplies should not
be a problem.

Have no idea about price and availability, that's all handled by some
purchasing department, probably not cheap though. Could be that they
don't have any distributors where you live, but I think it's well
worth a look.

http://www.metcal.com /

/Henrik

--

Re: Soldering Iron Recommendations
On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 07:23:44 +0000 (UTC), Henrik Johnsson

     The tips come in different temperatures ranging from 500 to 800
degrees (depending somewhat on model).  While it is true that it is
not adjustable, you acheive the same thing by putting in a different
tip.

Re: Soldering Iron Recommendations
guessing
the

Was that a special type then?
My Weller (WTCP-S) is already several years old and I can still buy tips for
it. I think the WTCP tips are one of the most standard types Weller sells.

Meindert

Re: Soldering Iron Recommendations
In comp.arch.embedded,
Several years? That's almost new then! ;-)

On my Weller TCP is a label with "serie: 03 77" From that I think it's
from 1977, which matches with what I know of the history of this iron.
Tips and other parts still available.

--
Stef    (remove caps, dashes and .invalid from e-mail address to reply by mail)

When you're bored with yourself, marry, and be bored with someone else.
Re: Soldering Iron Recommendations

Hakko 936 series.

Re: Soldering Iron Recommendations

Let me second this reccomendation - and add that it should be the Hakko
932-12 series. I got mine for about $90 a year ago - and I think that's the
best $90 I've spent in a long, long time. I looked at many of the more
expensive irons like the upper end wellers and the metcals - but in the end
the Hakko 936-12 met my needs just as well if not better and it didn't
leave my wallet empty.

-Michael

Re: Soldering Iron Recommendations
seems

Metcal makes the best soldering equipment. It's expensive when bought new,
but you should be able to get a used system via eBay for less than a new
Weller. The best buy is the STSS-PS2V (I've got two of them). They are no
longer made and hence quite cheap, but take all the tips made for the
current MX-500 units.

Leon

Re: Soldering Iron Recommendations
On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 11:08:08 +0100, "Leon Heller"

     I would agree with the above comments.  I have not tried the PS2V
model you mention, but have gotten along well with the SP200 and the
MX500 systems.  I have bought both new and eBay and so far, at least,
have not had any problems.  There are a lot of strange tips on eBay.
I think that some people buy a whole set and then realize that they
never use some of them and then try to sell them on eBay.

Re: Soldering Iron Recommendations

I like Edsyn, but you have to order the tips (which is no problem for me,
because I buy a bunch of them at a time).

Check Ebay - there is a catagory for "Industrial Soldering". I just bought a
like new 2 iron station for $130 US.

-Hershel

Re: Soldering Iron Recommendations

seems

xytronics , metcal , Hako (some xytronics also take  Hako tips)
know a few productions guys who won't touch anything but Edsyn
If your feeling rich , JBC.
http://www.howardelectronics.com/jbc/am6500smd.html
http://www.jbctools.com /

I use one of the xytronics 988DTP
http://www.xytronic-usa.com/988_index.htm
http://www.howardelectronics.com/xytronic/988dtp.html
http://www.xytronic-usa.com/XY.htm
http://www.xytronic.com/np/new-p.htm

Alex Gibson

Re: Soldering Iron Recommendations

I just got and EDSYN and I'll give it up when they pry it from my cold,
dead fingers.

Bob
--
"Just machines that make big decisions
 programmed by fellas with compassion and vision."

I've used Weller for over 30 years, but over the
last couple of years have been switching to
Hakko

Hakko 936, 2 per bench.  One with a big tip for
through-hole and desoldering and one with a
small tip for SMT soldering.  These have good
temp control, fairly good tip life and the
control units stack on top of each another.

Hakko 851 hot air desoldering tool, one between
two benches.  An excellent tool that saves lots
of time.  I'll probably buy more so I'll have
one per bench.

Re: Soldering Iron Recommendations
seems

I just replaced my old Edsyn 951SX with a DUAL 952SX station and it'll be a
cold day in you-know-where before I give it up.  The convenience of having
two independendly controllable irons with different tips -- a mini chisel
and a large one are what I have on there now -- is immeasurable.  You don't
need to spend the money on an Edsyn, but seriously consider a dual station.
And eBay is an acceptable venue.

    Norm

Re: Soldering Iron Recommendations

Found it!

Correction: finding tips at a store was a bitch. After I got online I was
able to find new tips, no problem.

Thanks,

Mike

Site Timeline