Soldering Iron Recommendations

I lost my Weller solder station during a move. Buying a solder station seems to be a pretty simple thing, except that last time I bought one, it was a bitch finding new tips.

I've always stuck to DIP IC'S and components with leads wherever possible, however, those days seem to be disappearing. So I need something good for both.

Weller irons have always worked well for me, but I'm willing to consider something else. I'd like a station that is grounded, ESD safe, with an adjustable temp and a variety of easily obtainable tips.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike Turco

seems

Ehhr...yes, Weller! And tips can be bought anywhere. Digikey, Farnell and many others stock Weller tips.

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

possible,

for

I had a hell of a time finding tips for my last Weller station. I'm guessing they went into production on the thing for a short while and then dumped the product. I'd rather not to go through that again.

A good approach may be for me to buy a handful of replacement tips when I buy the iron. Good tips last for a long time, anyway.

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike Turco

Weller was pretty common around here but for some years now it's Metcal all over. It's not adjustable but it seems to be just as allround as the Wellers, change to a tip suitable for the work at hand and it just works. Changing tips is a breeze. We use the MX Rework systems that's been around for quite some time so suplies should not be a problem.

Have no idea about price and availability, that's all handled by some purchasing department, probably not cheap though. Could be that they don't have any distributors where you live, but I think it's well worth a look.

/Henrik

Reply to
Henrik Johnsson

guessing

the

Was that a special type then? My Weller (WTCP-S) is already several years old and I can still buy tips for it. I think the WTCP tips are one of the most standard types Weller sells.

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

Several years? That's almost new then! ;-)

On my Weller TCP is a label with "serie: 03 77" From that I think it's from 1977, which matches with what I know of the history of this iron. Tips and other parts still available.

When you're bored with yourself, marry, and be bored with someone else.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Stef

Hakko 936 series.

Reply to
dmm

seems

Metcal makes the best soldering equipment. It's expensive when bought new, but you should be able to get a used system via eBay for less than a new Weller. The best buy is the STSS-PS2V (I've got two of them). They are no longer made and hence quite cheap, but take all the tips made for the current MX-500 units.

Leon

Reply to
Leon Heller

I like Edsyn, but you have to order the tips (which is no problem for me, because I buy a bunch of them at a time).

Check Ebay - there is a catagory for "Industrial Soldering". I just bought a like new 2 iron station for $130 US.

-Hershel

Reply to
Hershel Roberson

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 11:08:08 +0100, "Leon Heller"

I would agree with the above comments. I have not tried the PS2V model you mention, but have gotten along well with the SP200 and the MX500 systems. I have bought both new and eBay and so far, at least, have not had any problems. There are a lot of strange tips on eBay. I think that some people buy a whole set and then realize that they never use some of them and then try to sell them on eBay.

Reply to
Gary Reichlinger

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 07:23:44 +0000 (UTC), Henrik Johnsson

The tips come in different temperatures ranging from 500 to 800 degrees (depending somewhat on model). While it is true that it is not adjustable, you acheive the same thing by putting in a different tip.

Reply to
Gary Reichlinger

seems

xytronics , metcal , Hako (some xytronics also take Hako tips) know a few productions guys who won't touch anything but Edsyn If your feeling rich , JBC.

I use one of the xytronics 988DTP

Alex Gibson

Reply to
Alex Gibson

dmm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Let me second this reccomendation - and add that it should be the Hakko

932-12 series. I got mine for about $90 a year ago - and I think that's the best $90 I've spent in a long, long time. I looked at many of the more expensive irons like the upper end wellers and the metcals - but in the end the Hakko 936-12 met my needs just as well if not better and it didn't leave my wallet empty.

-Michael

Reply to
Michael

I just got and EDSYN and I'll give it up when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers.

Bob

--
"Just machines that make big decisions
 programmed by fellas with compassion and vision."
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Bob Stephens

I've used Weller for over 30 years, but over the last couple of years have been switching to Hakko

Hakko 936, 2 per bench. One with a big tip for through-hole and desoldering and one with a small tip for SMT soldering. These have good temp control, fairly good tip life and the control units stack on top of each another.

Hakko 851 hot air desoldering tool, one between two benches. An excellent tool that saves lots of time. I'll probably buy more so I'll have one per bench.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

seems

I just replaced my old Edsyn 951SX with a DUAL 952SX station and it'll be a cold day in you-know-where before I give it up. The convenience of having two independendly controllable irons with different tips -- a mini chisel and a large one are what I have on there now -- is immeasurable. You don't need to spend the money on an Edsyn, but seriously consider a dual station. And eBay is an acceptable venue.

Norm

Reply to
Norm Dresner

Found it!

Correction: finding tips at a store was a bitch. After I got online I was able to find new tips, no problem.

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike Turco