Soft-core processor construction

If anyone can help me with any information on the following, please do.

1. What exactly is a soft-core processor?
2. How do you go about building one?
3. Are there any tutorials for this, with special reference to Handel-C?
4. What are the tools required to build a soft-core using Handel-C?

Thanks,
s.a.

Re: Soft-core processor construction
snipped-for-privacy@touchtelindia.net says...

One where you never see the naughty bits...

--Gene

Re: Soft-core processor construction

I think it is one that is constructed with programmable logic using the
normal programmable logic tools.  This is in contrast to a hard-core
processor, which is laid out in a more custom manner.  Hard core
processors can be present on an IC with programmable logic, but it is
inserted as a single large piece of logic, rather than build with the
standard programmable parts.

Soft core is more flexible, but hard core has better performance: size,
speed, low power.

I suppose you either design your own with standard logic components or
license an existing a design.  I believe there is one processor design
with some sort of free licensing.

I added comp.arch.fpga to the group list.  This should bring in some
more knowledgeable folk.

Thad

Re: Soft-core processor construction

Go read http://www.fpgacpu.org/links.html .  There are a ton of
free and educational soft cores from which to learn.  If, after
studying this material for a while, you have more questions, by
all means come back to comp.arch.fpga.

  - Larry

Re: Soft-core processor construction

Look at http://www.c-nit.net /