SoC w/802.11b (for wireless temp/light sensor)

I'd like to use an inexpensive micro-controller (like Atmel's AVR -- I like the Butterfly demo board but would like other suggestions). And then add 802.11 for broadcasting temperature readings. I saw a few serial-to-WiFi devices, but they're all > $100. Yet I can buy a USB->WiFi dongle for ~$15. Still, many micro-controllers don't support USB either and I don't want to run Linux (unless there's a really compact form of it) or write fancy USB or TCP drivers.

Its been a long time since I've been in the embedded space and my head's kind of swimming. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! Eric yogieric -- on -- gmail

Reply to
Eric Brown

802.11 is overkill for temperature readings. You can probably use a simple RF link.

They are mostly for USB hosts.

Few supports devices and even fewer supports host.

Reply to
linnix

Huge overkill. The spec is 528 pages at least.

If all you want to do is record and broadcast temperature readings, you should look for integrated micro+RF. Try:

Or:

You can do your own search on Google using "integrated microcontroller RF transceiver".

I have no experience with these but came across them while looking for something else.

-Le Chaud Lapin-

Reply to
Le Chaud Lapin

Ok. Consider me wossname. Why "Le Chaud Lapin"? (translation: "the rabbit hot", except in Canadian, where all bets are off....)

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

It's the name of a sexually-oriented movie

and my nickname that was given to me while on vacation in France long ago. As I read slowly from the ticket stub, with an American English accent, "Luh...Chawwwd Lap Inn..." several young french women amused themselves at my ignorance about what I was saying, and so it stuck.

My French has improved considerably, but the name has remained honorary, as I an neither hot, nor a rabbit. ;)

-Le Chaud Lapin-

Reply to
Le Chaud Lapin

Thanks, but I want to set this up in houses and then have it send data directly to my server. I want to make just one part, not the transceiver and a separate receiver. The 802.11 base station is the receiver I want to use.

802.11 is complex, but it should be getting cheap enough that there is the possibility for inexpensive low-bandwidth solutions.
Reply to
Eric Brown

It's simply not used for these sorts of applications. You use 802.11 when your application already requires a 32-bit micro.

Temperature sensors are either wireless - in which case 802.11 is too power-hungry - or wired, in which case PLC is used.

Reply to
larwe

Greetings Eric,

The Atmel AT90USB1287 is an USB OTG controller. Basically it is a Mega128 with USB connectivity. I am not going to tell you a lot about overkill etc - for that is not what you asked for ;-)

With the AT90USB1287 you should be able to connect with a WIFI-dongle. I am interested in seeing how you make the sw on the other side. One suggestion woulf be to let the AT90USB1287 act as an FTP-client as it uploads the data to the server.

Good luck with it :-)

/RaceMouse

Eric Brown wrote:

Reply to
Rasmus Fink

OK, you can build the hardware for it, or get the atmel USB key for $30. Add another $20 to $30 for a Wifi adapter.

FTP is an overkill. You can just UDP a 8 to 10 bits number every few seconds. Temperature don't change so often.

Reply to
linnix