SOC Elementary question

Can someone point me to work that has been done in the area of integrating hardware and software (using standard ISA) on a single chip.

The hardware is not exactly a co-processor, so I am think what are the ways they can communicate?

Thanks

Reply to
Praveen

Look at the on-chip bus specification for the core you intend to use. The bus interface on the core will probably dictate how you talk to the hardware, though perhaps if your hardware is really funky you may need to bridge it somehow (e.g. with a DMA controller).

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

Hi

Have the look to the IC specifications of some SOCs from TI (the OMAP platform), ST or Philips (the NEXPERIA platform). You will see how they organize their hardware around a bus/memory hierarchy. Communication between the software running on the processor and the hardware cores is usually memory based for the configuration (all hardware parameters are mapped to specific memory addresses that the processor can address like any variable), while an interrupt mechanism is nice for notification. I would reserve polling status registers for very specific cases.

If you detail a little bit more what you intend to do, which pieces of software and hardware you intend to integrate together, then I could perhaps give you more tips.

Eric

Praveen a écrit dans le message : snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
Eric Delage