So called "copyright" pictures - Page 9

Re: So called "copyright" pictures

Confirmed??? You mean that someone didn't know this???

hawk
--
Richard E. Hawkins, Asst. Prof. of Economics    /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
snipped-for-privacy@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700      \ /   against HTML mail

<GRIN>  A wedding is the first and last time the gal will have
a starring role.  After the "I do"s, she gets hit with reality
when she has to wash the Prince's underwear.

/BAH

Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.

Re: So called "copyright" pictures

It's good to get a lawyer's opinion on this.

True, but she gets room and board and all the children she
wants.  Every job has its downside...

Of course, along with motherhood, the prince will find
that the blushing bride suddenly has all the delicacy of
a Marine Corps drill instructor.

Re: So called "copyright" pictures

[surprised emoticon here]  That's a feature?

Yep.

<GRIN>  Somebody has to teach him the basic[s].

/BAH

Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.

Re: So called "copyright" pictures

It's a bug or a feature.  If you can't correct it, you sell
it as a feature.

And after basic training, there's advanced training, and
then there's more training, and ... 24/7

Re: So called "copyright" pictures

hopefully they have lived together before the wedding and she would
already know, anything else would be stupid ...

-Lasse

Re: So called "copyright" pictures

That's not the tradition.  The white gown is supposed to symbolize
to you males that she hasn't been before.

/BAH

Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.

Re: So called "copyright" pictures

The statistics are more than clear that the divorce rate is *higher* for
those who shack up before marriage.  I'm skeptical about the causation,
though--it seems more plausible to me that,as a group,  those that are
less likely to divorce are also less likely to live together before
marriage.

Just the males?  Surely it's as much for the other females.

The clergy were opposed to the white and yellow gowns when they first
came into style, upon the grounds that there should be no need to
advertise such a state, which should be the norm.

hawk
--
Richard E. Hawkins, Asst. Prof. of Economics    /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
snipped-for-privacy@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700      \ /   against HTML mail
Re: So called "copyright" pictures

This is a good example of a meaningless statistic.  Not only can there
be a relation between the groups that explains the results (rather than
one causing the other) the "result" is not necessarily meaningful.  The
number of lasting marriages vs. divorces is not the real issue, but
rather the number happy marriages is what would be useful to count.
There very well may be a strong correlation between couples choosing to
remain chaste and choosing to not divorce even in an unhappy marriage.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

snipped-for-privacy@XYarius.com
Re: So called "copyright" pictures
I thought that "happy marriage" was an oxymoron...like
"cruel kindness" and "military intelligence"...    ;-)

(By the way, my dictionary says that the plural of
"oxymoron" is "oxymora"...curious that...)

|   Charles and Francis Richmond     richmond at plano dot net   |
Re: So called "copyright" pictures

Meaningless statistic?  Meaningless statistic?

--
#include <standard.disclaimer>
 _

|   Charles and Francis Richmond     richmond at plano dot net   |
Re: So called "copyright" pictures
On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 16:19:05 +0000 (UTC) in alt.folklore.computers,

Maybe not for long enough -- apparently hormones and lust alone can
keep a couple together for about four years -- after that, reality
starts to set in. Five years together before deciding on marriage
seems a reasonable time period that I'm going to be recommending to my
kids.
--
Thanks. Take care, Brian Inglis     Calgary, Alberta, Canada

snipped-for-privacy@CSi.com     (Brian dot Inglis at SystematicSw dot ab dot ca)
Re: So called "copyright" pictures
A different conclusion can be made using the same data: Perhaps
a couple living together without marriage...has fewer demands on
each other. After they marry, each acquires a sense of entitlement,
and the situation gets too confining for the couple.
In the orient, white is the traditional color of mourning...
worn to funerals and such. Perhaps they have the right idea.
(Traditional Chinese wedding dresses are *red*.)

|   Charles and Francis Richmond     richmond at plano dot net   |
Re: So called "copyright" pictures
On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 19:46:25 GMT

Old expression: "Why should we ruin a good thing by getting married?".

--John
Re: So called "copyright" pictures
On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 02:54:58 -0500

JC> Old expression: "Why should we ruin a good thing by getting married?".

    We got married to formalise the arrangements for raising kids.

--
C:>WIN                                      |     Directable Mirrors
The computer obeys and wins.                |A Better Way To Focus The Sun

I thought that's what divorce was for?
--
Thanks. Take care, Brian Inglis     Calgary, Alberta, Canada

snipped-for-privacy@CSi.com     (Brian dot Inglis at SystematicSw dot ab dot ca)
Re: So called "copyright" pictures
On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 22:27:10 GMT

For some reason this whole discussion makes me think of Goldie Hawn, who
after two failed marriages decided to shack up with Kurt
Russell--they've been happily shacked now for 21 years.

--John
Re: So called "copyright" pictures
On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 16:19:05 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@slytherin.ds.psu.edu

[...]

IIRC, in some (Asian?) cultures, white is the color of mourning.

Regards,

                               -=Dave
--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.

Re: So called "copyright" pictures

White gowns are a pretty recent tradition, less than 200 years.
Before that they could be lots of colors, though pastels were usually
favored.

-- Patrick

Site Timeline