Smoke detectors

Hi,

I have a requirement for a smoke detector inside an electronic box. I have googled for smoke detectors, but most seem to be for detecting smoke generated by 'normal' combustable materials, wood, tobacco etc. How does this 'normal' smoke differ from smoke generated from burning wire insulation and other materials commonly used in electronics ? Can anyone recommend sensors that are specific for use inside electronic boxes ?

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

You may use an termal, optical detector or a semiconductor gas sensor (e.g.Figaro)

Wim

Reply to
Wim Ton

Try these:

Which one? I suggest that you try both and see which one works best in your application.

They don't differ in any way that the smoke detector cares about. If the smoke can be seen, the photoelectric sensor will see it. If it causes ionization, the ionization-type detector will see it.

You could also supplement the smoke detection by looking for IR to catch the glow/flash of a part burning out, or even the pop of exploding parts. And, of course, there is always the tried-and-true method of using fuses...

--
Guy Macon, Electronics Engineer & Project Manager.  Remember Doc Brown
from the 'Back to the Future' movies?  Do you have an "impossible"

[...]

Funniest thing I've seen so far today.

Reply to
Bryan Hackney