SMBus NACK Command/Data

An SMBus receiving slave may indicate reception of invalid command or
data by using the NACK mechanism.  My understanding is that most
micro-controller I2C module typical sequence is to immediately generate
the NACK or ACK based on a bit setting in the I2C control register when
you read the I2C module data register.  The preferred sequence would be
to stretch the clock, read the command/data byte, check if it is a
valid command/data, set a bit to indicate ACK or NACK, and then
generate the ACK or NACK.  Is there a micro-controller I2C module that
implements this feature or do I have to use bit-banging I2C?

Site Timeline