Smart Media or Compact Flash

Does anyone here know of a project using AVR's to read or write Smart
Media cards or Compact Flash cards?  Thanks.

Re: Smart Media or Compact Flash
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.net writes

No but I have one somewhere for doing it on an 8051

Re: Smart Media or Compact Flash

That would be great, the avr is, while technically different from an
8051, often easily converted.  I would greatly appreciate a link or
info. :)

Re: Smart Media or Compact Flash
Are you looking to learn how its done or are you looking for a finished
project where you can just plug it in and run ??

Re: Smart Media or Compact Flash
On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 16:07:55 -0600, hamilton

I am looking first, for how to read and write to the cards, but the
ultimate goal is one I would perfer not to discuss at this time.  It
involves product development in an area I perceive as a possible
competative market.

Re: Smart Media or Compact Flash

There are many such projects available, and there are also very good
app notes available in many places. One I can recommend is the sandisc
site.

Generally speaking CompactFlash is easier since they have their own
logic to do wear leveling and also since newer models also are
protected against powerfail during write operations etc.

Then, CompactFlash is available with storeage space up to 4GB where as
SmartMedia is more restrictive. Since the former is produced in huge
quantites prices are still competitive although they are more complex.

So, if you have the space on the PCB CF gives you more flexibility.

Use google and you also find a ton of information about the subject.

Markus

Re: Smart Media or Compact Flash

Unfortunatetly, googling only brought me tons of advertizers selling
the media.  I guess I didnt hold my fingers right. :)

Re: Smart Media or Compact Flash

aparently...

interfacing CompactFlash microcontroller

results in many pages about the very subject.

Markus

Re: Smart Media or Compact Flash

Good heads up btw on the compact flash card too,  Samsung has several
excellent pages on the pin outs, signal timing and all for both the
smart media and the compact flash.  I can see now that I am going to
have FAR more fun than I initailly anticipated. :)

Re: Smart Media or Compact Flash

Can't help You, but seeing this kind of enthousiasm makes me feel happy, so
I just want to wish You good luck with Your product!

Rene

Re: Smart Media or Compact Flash
Check out the following link:
http://www.circuitcellar.com/echips-pdfs/0201/c0201mspdf.pdf
A circuit cellar article on using the compact flash with a
PIC processor.

--
Mike "mikey" Fields
http://home.comcast.net/~mike.fields /

Thanks to all for the help, it has pointed me to a tremendous amount
of information.. Damn I love the internet! :)

Site Timeline