SMART drive in PC is useful. We need it. Why PC give us an option to disable it?

SMART drive in PC is useful and I believe everybody needs it. Why PC
give us an option to disable it? So some non-professional person may
happen to disable it and  lose some benefits.

Thanks,

Adrian

Re: SMART drive in PC is useful. We need it. Why PC give us an option to disable it?
: SMART drive in PC is useful and I believe everybody needs it. Why PC
: give us an option to disable it? So some non-professional person may
: happen to disable it and  lose some benefits.

The usual - when it does not work (correctly) or
f**ks up something else; Get rid of it.

BTW, of what interest is this in comp.arch.EMBEDDED?

  Never ever underestimate the power of human stupidity.
Re: SMART drive in PC is useful. We need it. Why PC give us an option to disable it?

You're right regarding the first, but seriously wrong about the second
statement.  Not "everybody" actually "needs" smartdrv --- some
applications will even stop to work correctly if smartdrv is used.
Caching disrupts the sequence of events between what the software
thinks it's writing to the harddisk, and what actually gets written.

[And what ever might have made you think this is an on-topic question
for this newsgroup completely evades me.]

Re: SMART drive in PC is useful. We need it. Why PC give us an option to disable it?

Brain in skull is useful and I believe everybody needs it. Why human
consciousness give us an option to disable it? So some foolish person
may happen to disable it and  lose some benefits.

Re: SMART drive in PC is useful. We need it. Why PC give us an option to disable it?

Not here; I turned my brain off long ago and haven't missed it a bit.
No more guilt, fear, embarassment, etc.

Re: SMART drive in PC is useful. We need it. Why PC give us an option to disable it?
On another serious note.

I read the original post a bit differently.  I read the SMART drive as the
application that monitors the health of the drive for predictive failure
analysis.  This was added a few years ago to the ATA drive interface spec.

One reason to disable it is for performance for some applications like video
streaming where you cannot giveup time for the monitor software to
communicate with the drive to get status.  Otherwise I have used it quite a
bit.  The white paper on SMART describes in many cases a drive failure can be
predicted 24-48 hours before a fail.

Regards,
   Nitro

Re: SMART drive in PC is useful. We need it. Why PC give us an option to disable it?

Interesting, I didn't know there was a performance hit. My
understanding was that the feature was implemented entirely in the
drive's firmware, no host-side support required except the ability to
send the "turn it on" command.

Re: SMART drive in PC is useful. We need it. Why PC give us an option to disable it?
On 30 Oct 2004 04:24:54 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@larwe.com (Lewin A.R.W. Edwards)

There are actually quite a few ways that SMART can be used, including
"only report when asked but don't do anything extra" to "perform a long
offline test that preempts my use of the drive for an hour or so".

When it's enabled, there probably is a minor effect on performance as,
for example, when there is a sector-read CRC error there is extra
activity by the SMART firmware to make note of the error in addition to
the normal activity of the regular firmware to execute a re-seek of the
sector. This aspect of SMART should be virtually invisible to the user.

However, there are options to enable various background self tests.
These could steal a noticeable number of cycles.

If you have Linux (I rather suspect that Lewin does (I have his book)
but for the info of others...), look at the "smartctl" command. It gives
a lot more control and information than any Windows based utility I've
seen (which doesn't mean, of course, that there's nothing out there).

For Windows users, check out the free utility DIskCheckup from
www.passmark.com. Handy to read the SMART info but it doesn't have the
ability to launch self tests, etc.

--
Rich Webb   Norfolk, VA