Smallest, cheapest 8 bit processor

What is the smallest, cheapest microprocessor?

Re: Smallest, cheapest 8 bit processor

This has many answers, depends on ALL of the below :

- What volumes ?
- Do you want MASK, OTP or Flash ?
- How brain-dead can it be ?
- In which country will the devices be sold ?
- If smallest and cheapest do not both occur together,
   which is more important ?
- What part of the semi-business cycle is the supplier in ?
- Do EOL schedules matter to your product ?

anything from sub 30c to ~99c could be considered correct answers...

-jg

Re: Smallest, cheapest 8 bit processor

Thanks, sub 30 I wouldn't have thought so that's good news. It is a vague
question to be sure with all other factors being median case. I'm trying to
figure out where the top of the heap starts.

Re: Smallest, cheapest 8 bit processor

A free ATtiny13 sample is probably close to your needs ...

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson   ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com

Some to consider are the MSP430 family from TI and the PSOC from
Cypress.  Both can be had for under $1 in moderate volumes.

--

Rick "rickman" Collins

snipped-for-privacy@XYarius.com
Re: Smallest, cheapest 8 bit processor
On Mon, 10 May 2004 20:23:05 -0700, "DM McGowan II"

How do you define the size of the microprocessor ?

- by the package length ?
- by package area ?
- by package volume ?
- by pin count ?
- by gate or transistor count ?

BTW, how do you define an 8 bit processor ?

Paul

Re: Smallest, cheapest 8 bit processor

<!-- what Google says for microcontralto:>

   Did you mean <italic>microcontroller</>

   How about number of registers? Amount of RAM or program space? I/O?

   Just as a Supreme Court Justice does: I know it when I see it. :)

-----
http://mindspring.com/~benbradley

Site Timeline