Small ARM board running capable of running Linux

I am looking for small embedded ARM board with ethernet+USB+multiple
RS232+general purpose parallel I/O lines+multiple channel ADC+realtime clock
and capable of running Linux. (Am I sking too much?)
Do you know ARM board with these specs?

Re: Small ARM board running capable of running Linux

clock

The new AT91SAM7X comes close, but no Linux.  Other OS's however.  See
www.freertos.org/portsam7xiar.html

Regards,
Richard.

http://www.FreeRTOS.org

Re: Small ARM board running capable of running Linux

Sorry, wrong link.  This link shows the Ethernet and the USB on the SAM7X:
http://www.freertos.org/portsam7xlwIP.html

Regards,
Richard.

http://www.FreeRTOS.org

Re: Small ARM board running capable of running Linux

A Gumstix, plus an EtherStix and a Robostix or Audiostix expansion
boards would give you everything but the realtime clock. The serial
ports are TTL level though, not RS232. The Robostix board has on
on-board AVR which provides multiple GPIO and ADC, the Audiostix
provides fewer A/D and GPIO but saves you having to write for two
platforms (and you get audio - hence the name).

It is small (very small) and runs Linux out of the box.

http://www.gumstix.com /

Tim
--
You are being watched. This gives you power.

Re: Small ARM board running capable of running Linux

I like the  Gumstix, but they only have USB client.

I just ordered a Linkxys NSLU2. While this would still need
something else for ADC and GPIO, it has Ethernet and 2 USB
ports. It also has 1.5 serial ports (one of them is read
only.

And yes, Linux runs on it.

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki /
--
http://enerd.ws/robots /
D. Jay Newman

Re: Small ARM board running capable of running Linux

Oops, just noticed the USB requirement. Yes, the Gumstix folks are
taking their time over sorting USB host. It's in the pipeline
allegedly, but I'm not holding my breath.

Tim
--
You are being watched. This gives you power.

Re: Small ARM board running capable of running Linux
embededarm.com - pretty much everything you need.  You will need a
daughterboard or two.

Re: Small ARM board running capable of running Linux

Why running Linux? Takes up a lot of room and adds a layer of
complexity.

Just program the board most embedded systems don't have an  RTOS anyway.

Re: Small ARM board running capable of running Linux

How about the VCMA9? http://www.mpl.ch/t2730.html

I've used them, although with Nucleus rather than Linux, and they seem quite
good.
--
Dave
mail da snipped-for-privacy@llondel.org (without the space)

Both have Ethernet, USB Host + Client, 2 UARTs (chips got 4)
SPI, I2C , GPIO, RTC. No ADC on the mech'brick AFAIK.

--
A. P. Richelieu

"Don Gravos" <aaaa> skrev i meddelandet
Re: Small ARM board running capable of running Linux
www.embeddedarm.com looks good too.

Re: Small ARM board running capable of running Linux

There is a growing movement to use one of the wireless routers (like a
linksys wrt5x?) which is an arm based Linux with a wireless capability
built in.  There are also hardware hacks to add serial ports on the web
... and other mods available.  This for about $40USD, with power wart,
enclosure, antenna and all that ... google is your friend ...

Cheers,
Rob.

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, it was written:

Re: Small ARM board running capable of running Linux
"Don Gravos" <aaaa> a écrit dans le message de news:
4326f0ab$0$22099$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au...

CM-X255 or CM-X270W from Compulab, starting around $50 ? Cf
www.compulab.co.il

Re: Small ARM board running capable of running Linux

Do they run Linux?

Re: Small ARM board running capable of running Linux

Yes, but that $50 is a bogus price, it's a few thousand dollars to get
set up and the $50 is only for a mini module that requires a baseboard
to get any actual functionality.

Re: Small ARM board running capable of running Linux
snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

A little correction : they are effectively starting arount $50 in volume
orders (1K), see their prices on their web site. These kind of modules are
COM, meaninf effectively that they are designed to be fitted, like a
component, on your application PCB. So yes a baseboard is needed, but it
could be either a standard one (PC104 or ATX, around $30-$40), or your own
application PCB.

Friendly,
Robert

Re: Small ARM board running capable of running Linux

($50+$40) x 1000 3D% $90,000.  That should be enough to build any custom
board you want.  We can even throw in 10,000 spare PCBs.

Re: Small ARM board running capable of running Linux

For full linux

Etrax from Axis  http://developer.axis.com
More recent chips can run a default 2.6  linux kernel

 The ETRAX 100LX Multi Chip Module includes the ETRAX 100LX SoC plus 4 MB
Flash, 16 MB SDRAM, Ethernet Transceiver, etc. This chip is ideal for
Ethernet-connected Linux systems.
http://developer.axis.com/doc/hardware/mcm/4+16/MCM_datasheet.htm
http://developer.axis.com/products/etrax100lx/index.html

a.. 4 asynchronous serial ports
a.. 2 synchronous serial ports
a.. 2 USB ports Host 1.1
a.. 2 Parallel ports
a.. 4 ATA (IDE) ports
a.. 2 Narrow SCSI ports (or 1 Wide)

http://developer.axis.com/doc/index.html
http://developer.axis.com/products/etrax100lx/18354_etrax_lx.pdf
http://developer.axis.com/doc/hardware/mcm/4+16/MCM_datasheet.htm

http://www.acmesystems.it/ A nice small board , and its 5V tolerant

Alex

Re: Small ARM board running capable of running Linux

I had a look at axis a little while back but I couldn't find any info on
the MIPS rating. Also I found that the 10/100 Ethernet is slugged to a max
2 (or 2.5) MB/s. Somthing to do with the USB interface.

Regards
Sergio Masci

http://www.xcprod.com/titan/XCSB - optimising PIC compiler
FREE for personal non-commercial use

.

Re: Small ARM board running capable of running Linux

Which etrax chip ?

There is a whole range since 1993
http://developer.axis.com/products/etrax100lx/etrax_history.html

The 100LXsupports 100Mbs full duplex

They are used by Axis in their surveillance cameras
one of their boxes has an etrax 100LX + TI DM642 +  camera chip.

Also if the ethernet wasn't up to scratch , why would the chip get used in
routers , network cameras , nas boxes etc ?

http://www.amsstorage.com/html/dakotarom-sp_specifications.html
http://www.canon.com.au/products/multimedia/webview_webcasting_solutions/vbc10_ptz%20camera.html
http://www.linuxdevices.com/products/PD3724998087.html
http://www.elphel.com/model313/index.html
http://www.elphel.com/3fhlo/index.html

Alex
Elphel do seem to use broadcom ethernet on their cameras

Site Timeline