Exactly. That "datasheet" is not a complete datasheet. Some peripherals
stuff and that's it...

Re: Small ARM board
On 2012-02-29, snipped-for-privacy@kapsi.spam.stop.fi.invalid

Here's a posting I found which contains a link to the raspberrypi.org website:

http://sites.google.com/site/guenterbartsch/blog/bcm2835peripheraldatasheetreleased

(The link is currently dead presumably due to the website running a static
page only for the moment.)

Simon.

Re: Small ARM board

Broadcom is known to ignore smaller companies.

My former colleague at Atmel asked for a datasheet
for an Ethernet PHY to put in a reference design.
The reference design was outsourced to Solectron
which was doing business with Ericsson and had good pricing
on Broadcom PHYs.

He never got a reply, so Solectron was asked to redesign
with National.
Having a turnover of a mere 1-2 B$ is thus not so impressive
to Broadcom sales...

BR
Ulf Samuelsson

Re: Small ARM board

I can't blame the folks like Broadcom that are only interested in
marketing parts in huge quantities -- I can see the cost savings from not
having to support a bunch of onsie-twosie designs.

But I can sure as heck ignore them back!

Re: Small ARM board

It does not take much support to post a datasheet on a website, you
know.
Whatever their reasons may be for keeping the data secret they are
other
than "cost saving on support".

Dimiter

Re: Small ARM board

Ok, third attempt... Its a great cheap ARM board, but I can't see it
meeting it's goal
of getting kids into computers. Surely they are surrounded by them?
And a platform
based on Linux and a proprietary chip is not a great choice for that.
The lead designer is apparently
an ex-employee of Broadcom, and seem to enjoy close relations with his
former
company. Looks like a case of a solution looking for a problem?

The groups most interested will be OEMs, and designers already into
embedded stuff. Oh, and
Chinese school kids, where they are getting into embedded in a big
way. They will be the next
generation of embedded developers. Our kids will be the next
generation of consumers buying
stuff from China and watching youtube on it. Raspberry Pi is made in
China, of course. And
has HDMI video.

So good idea, probably 10 years too late.

[...]

-----------------------------------
Cheer up Bob.  Just perhaps someone has had a bash at making something which
might do some good.  OK, so it's made in China.  But so is a lot of tat.
This might be useful (and I doubt if people are going to buy it because it's
fashionable).

So, three cheers for the Raspberry Pi, and why not offer to help out at a
local school's after-hours club?  The Chinese cannot take that away.

Children can be very motivated by creating something that works, so if they
can program the Tower of Hanoi and watch it run on their tv, that will be
quite something.

Especially if they solve the problem from a random initial condition.

Re: Small ARM board

The Arduino was only for engineers and artists when it started.

With the power of the Pi, I am sure within 6 months there will be all
sorts of project created for kids out there.

hamilton

Site Timeline