[Slightly OT] Eurovision backdrop screens

Firstly, my apologies to our friends over the herring pond for the Euro/UK-centric nature of this post (although I'm sure you have similar things in the US).

Watching the Eurovision Song contest on Saturday night, I was impressed by the LED displays on both the backdrop and stage.

What sort of processing is involved in these massive LED screens? Just getting them to sync must be a mammoth task. Do they make use of the commercial chips from Maxim et al, or is there a more esoteric solution.

I'm not asking for any trade secrets - I'm just interested to hear the experiences from anyone who has been involved with this type of project.

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Mike G

Mike G =ED=E0=EF=E8=F1=E0:

are you sure these were LED displays at all? I got the impression these were laser projectors

Best regards Tsvetan

--
PCB prototypes for $26 at http://run.to/pcb (http://www.olimex.com/
pcb)

The screens were various products made by Barco and driven from several media servers called Hippotizer, which is just a powerful PC with some clever software. They would have been run from one of the GrandMA lighting control consoles running the show, via DMX512 either over ethernet or directly.

I thought it looked amazing, shame about thew music really.

Martin

Martin Walton

Monster stuff Fortunately I missed the the Eurosong contest (again)

martin

Reply to
martin griffith