Slightly Off-Topic, Printed Circuits

I've been away from the actual printed circuit board design and fab for quite awhile and I'm trying to get a small board done. I have a couple of questions.

Is there a standard naming convention for the gerber and drill file extensions?

Is there an inexpensive proto/preproduction shop that you've had good luck with? We've used Advanced for

10 years, but the quote I got yesterday seemed way high. I'm looking at a 2 layer board with very large features, smallest hole .031 and smallest trace/space of more than 10 mils.
Reply to
Jim Stewart

How does that joke go? Something like: They liked standards so much that they decided have lots of them!

Here is one place that lists some of the better known ones. There are others where the file extensions are all .ger or .pho and the filename base includes "top," "bottom", etc.

I usually go with Sunstone's

Value Proto for normal prototypes. They're certainly not the only one out there, of course.

If I'm really, really not in a hurry then there are off-shore options that can be cheaper. I've had good results with BatchPCB , a service run by the Sparkfun lads. The boards were fine and I even got a couple extra for free since they apparently used it to fill-in empty space on the panel.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

I'm not sure what's "expensive" to you, but if you're in the US you might want to try PCB Express --

They can easily do what you want, and if I built my own boards for their prices for two- layer no-silk no-mask boards I'd have to pay myself less than minimum wage.

They take regular Gerbers, and they don't need standard names -- when you send in your order their form has spots for filling in the names of the files (or they tell you how to set up the readme file, or something).

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

That's more like it. Considerably cheaper than Advanced.

Thanks

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I forgot to mention: they have been a no muss, no fuss operation for me since the day I started working for me. The only time I got a board back from them that wasn't exactly what I wanted was the time I sent them a board with a cutout that I knew was very questionable, and the way they dealt with it was exactly what I had hoped they'd do if they couldn't actually make the cutout.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Different PCB packages have different default namings. I usually provide "readme.txt" file together with gerbers. This file contains manufacturing notes such as which file is what, layer stackup, copper weight, PCB thickness, accuracy requirements, etc.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

I've used 4pcb's "bare bones" and "33each" offerings, as well as sierra protoexpress, batchpcb, pcb-pool, and most recently dorkbotpdx

I've had no problems with any of them, it's more a matter of which one has the best deal for the specific board you're making.

I've seen almost no consistency in gerber names, or even where the outline is put.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

We've used Alberta Printed Circuits for years. Their prices have slowly gone up (and their specs slowly improved) over time. I think they're still a bit cheaper than sunstone/pcbexpress. See:

cassiope

For my job, Sunstone's PCBexpress E1 process was an untouchable bargain. $109 and my job was done, not even the threatened 10% penalty for excessive holes.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Maybe try iteadstudio:

Dave Jones has tested it and if you don't have very special small dimensions, like he used:

then it should be no problem.

--
Frank Buss, http://www.frank-buss.de
piano and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/frankbuss

I've had three lots of boards made by ITead. I'm very happy with their service - the factory took about four days to make them, and postage to the UK took about 10 days.

Reply to
Leon