Slightly off-topic, making thermocouples

I was working on a terrarium heating system last night and I needed a custom length K thermocouple. I had some TC wire, paired and jacketed, about

26 gauge. I stripped the insulation back about 1/2", twisted the conductors together a couple of turns and clamped them between 2 small copper bars with about 1/8" showing.

I got out the TIG welder, set it for DC and 10 amperes. I positioned the torch over the conductors, tapped the pedal a couple of times to flood the area with argon, and then held an arc for about one second. I got a perfect bead first try.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Next time try just bending the leads together to touch without the twist-- you'll get a more accurate junction position.

--sp

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

I will. But this time I don't think the crickets will tell the difference (:

Reply to
Jim Stewart