single wire debug interface

Anyone know of a single wire interface suitable for debugging (+ ground of course) ?

Is it possible to "compress" JTAG to a single wire ? Are there other standards that could be used ? Any vendors (Semi vendors) offer this already ?

Thanks in advance,

HGH

Reply to
HG

Atmel has something like that for their newest tinyAVR's:

Mikael Ejberg Pedersen
Reply to
Mikael Ejberg Pedersen

LED on a GPIO? Classic debugging interface ;)

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (HG) wrote in news:47822c89.0405130807.6dc50533 @posting.google.com:

How about half-duplex RS232? If you don't have a UART available it's not too difficult in software - just sample at about 6 to 8 times the baudrate and allow for not sampling precisely at the edges of the signal. Of course, this can get a bit intrusive for your system timing, but it's doable, I seem to remember 9600baud on an 8MHz PIC wasn't too much of a strain - sorry, I don't have the code, this was something I was using about ten years ago.

Peter. (posted without apology for cloyingly personal anecdote)

Reply to
CodeSprite

For the smaller processors I used to put in a software uart so that I can send messages to trace the execution.

Peter

moocowmoo