Single board computers

Hello,
I'm looking to replace a laptop with a single board computer for data
acquisition and control, via ethernet.  I would like to hear any
recommendations from users who have had experiences with them. OS, ease
of programming etc.

Thanks.
Madan.
Ithaca, NY.

Re: Single board computers

ease

First, you need to tell us what level of performance you require.

Re: Single board computers
says...

Our speed requirements are low. Our system has a stepper motor, 10
digital I/O's for operating relays and 5 channels of A/D sampling at
200Hz for about 5 minutes.  Right now we are using a microcontroller
board connected to the serial port.  As a stand alone unit, a LCD
display and ethernet interface to start data logging and retreive the
data is desired.

Madan.

Re: Single board computers

Take a look at http://www.triangledigital.co.uk/ or
               http://www.mpeltd.demon.co.uk /

Both do suitable single board systems that would cope. The Triangle
boards were designed with data logging functions in mind and the
software that comes in the library files will give you a flying
start. The MPE board of similar vein has Ethernet.

Re: Single board computers

Madan,

Sounds like a good all around choice for TERN's R-Drive controller,
which supports all of the options you named:

http://www.tern.com/rdrive.htm

16-bit x86-based SBC, Ethernet port, plenty of ADC, 21 high-voltage
outputs for directly driving relays (350 mA @ 50V), and a CompactFlash
interface if needed for logging up to 2 GBs worth of data on a
FAT12/16 filesystem.

Re: Single board computers
sbc

http://arm.web7days.com

Re: Single board computers

Not a user, but check these out:

 http://www.zworld.com/products/bl2000 /

 http://www.zworld.com/products/bl2000 /

There are no royalties or license fees. We're coming out
with some nice stuff to make the creation of browser
interfaces for remote monitoring and control easy very
soon also.

Re: Single board computers

If you're replacing a laptop, maybe you'd find it easiest to work with
an x86 SBC. What is the reason for migrating to an SBC, anyway? Size?
Power? Noise? Cost?

Re: Single board computers

you can try out board,

see all the demo

http://arm.web7days.com

Re: Single board computers

Gee now, I hope you haven't had to take down your site because of a
flood of orders overwhelming your bandwidth, EZarm.

Site Timeline