simple thermal diode probe

Many processors and fpgas have built in thermal diodes. There are also many supporting devices that control fans or have I2C/SPI interfaces.

I am looking for a small off-the-shelf board or instrument that I can use on existing boards by just connecting to the internal diode and reading the temperature on a display.

I'm not looking for advice on how to build my own or how to interpolate with a multimeter etc. I don't want to build a board etc. I just want the "lazy" solution

I have searched on Google and found nothing that is suitable.

Can anyone point me to an off-the-shelf" solution?

Thx

Al

Reply to
Al Clark

don't think you'll like the price ...

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

What made you assume that those diodes would be routed to external pins of those devices, for your hypothetical device to connect to?

Reply to
Hans-Bernhard Bröker

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?Hans-Bernhard_Br=F6ker?= wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.dfncis.de:

Because in my case, I routed the thermal diode to a test header. I already have the boards.

Al

Reply to
Al Clark

LM95235 Eval board. Doesn't have a display with temp, but has USB (and presumably software that will show the temp.

One in stock at DigiKey for $120US

I used the LM86 eval board ($100) for monitoring the temp of a Xilinx FPGA during initial board bringup and it worked great. DigiKey doesn't have any in stock, though.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Urbanus

many

use on

the

with

"lazy"

In a similar vein, the LM89 eval board is listed at $78 on TI's site, but availability might be a problem:

If you're willing to spend a little time on this, the other way to approach it might be to pick up a raspberry pi, wire an lm86 or similar to its I2C bus, and connect the diode to that. We picked up a few for tinkering with at work, and they're quite impressive (if you overlook their USB power delivery kludges) - we've connected a few one-wire, I2C and SPI devices to them just to see what's what, and it really does appear to be quite simple to get simple devices up and running.

Smeghead

I ended up with an LM95231 Eval Board from TI. I think this is similar to the other eval boards that were suggested.

It seems like an opportunity for someone.

Thanks

Al

Paul Urbanus wrote in news:wuOdnQyqAM9VVMDNnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@megapath.net:

Reply to