Signaling over powerline help

Hello,
I would like to know if someone can point me in the right direction.
I'm looking for a schematic that would allow me to send and receive
data over the power lines in a house. I did a search on google under
the following and did not find anything, I could use as a starting
point: Signaling over powerline circuits, bpsk circuit, and binary
phase-shift keying circuit. Thank you in advance, Ken

Re: Signaling over powerline help

Try searching for "powerline modem".

Phonex's "ReadyWire" looks interesting, but I
believe the web page saying "Available
soon for developers" has not changed in the
last couple years ...

( http://www.phonex.com/prd_readywire.htm )

Their Neverwire14 works very well, though.
There are similar products from several
other companies.

Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group, ]
[ return address is invalid. ]

Re: Signaling over powerline help
Hi Roberto and thanks for your reply. I not looking for something this
elaborate. I don't need the high transfer rate. I'll be using a PIC
micro and sending a few bytes to one or more PIC's. Ken

Re: Signaling over powerline help
On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 11:12:54 -0500, the renowned ken

"carrier current"
X10 + reciever, transmitter etc.

As well as being potentially dangerous, it's not easy to get this sort
of thing to work reliably. I suggest you forget about it and use
wireless technology.

If you're in North America, in a residential situaiton, with our split
mains, you may also have to worry about getting data across the two
sides. Commercial may use 208 3-phase so it's got double trouble.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: Signaling over powerline help
On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 12:14:12 -0500, Spehro Pefhany

Hi Spehro, I'm aware of the danger and plain to use opto isolators. I
also know about the split mains. Thanks, Ken

Re: Signaling over powerline help
On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 12:14:12 -0500, the renowned Spehro Pefhany

P.S. you can also look at the LM2893/LM1893 data sheets (the parts are
now discontinued but there are still thousands floating around) to see
some details of power line coupling using transformers and FSK
encoding/decoding.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: Signaling over powerline help

Spehro is right, forget this scheme. Use wireless.

There are cheap tx-rx pairs that might serve over a 30m or so,
particularly in wood frame houses. Search for TLP434 and RLP434. You also
need an encoder and decoder, unless you want to do it yourself using
bit-banging, which is ill advised. One encoder-decoder pair are the ones
from Holtek, the HT12E/HT12D pair. This set works well with a short
wire antenna, and can be extended using better antennas.

For less than $20 US, you can easily build a one-way channel between two
microcontrollers that will support a data rate of 500 bytes/sec.

You might also be able to use the encoder / decoder chips over the
powerline (using transformers of some kind, I'm guessing), but you run
into the issues others have pointed out.

Finally, I seem to recall a technote from national that shows how to
transmit music over powerlines. That might also have some tips.

  Bob Monsen

Re: Signaling over powerline help
Hello Bob,

PLC can work nicely, just not that old AM protocol of X-10. Wireless can
be much more of a challenge. For example, it is very hard to maintain an
ISM wireless link into our garage at a reasonable (or legal) power
level. Via PLC I can reach there with ease.

With PLC you can do that for a few Dollars.

Just don't get suckered into any kind of carrier on/off AM protocol ;-)

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: Signaling over powerline help

Instead of X10, try UPB.