shell for arm processor.

Hi all! I am newbie to embedded. I was asked to create a simple shell for arm processor with 4x20 Lcd display. Basically I dont have any idea about shell. i have googled abt shell and understood that its a command line interpreter. I need to diplay on the lcd and need to execute some simple commands like renaming file,ls, making a directory etc....File system has already been there on the board. i want to know how framebuffer is allocated and some information about command database (i suppose its a structure that contains command name and fucntion pointer for correspondign command). i dont have any OS and need to write a plain C code.

Appreciate any suggestions,or any help ,any related site addresses.....

Thanq all, Kris.

Reply to
kris2552

Homework / study project?

Basically, you have three tasks:

- create keyboard interface and driver for it, - create display interface and driver for it, - create the command interpreter and line I/O handlers.

A framebuffer is a memory area allocated to represent the display surface of a graphic display. The actaul implementation depends on the hardware intreface you have at hand for the display unit.

If you have a graphic display (which I doubt, due to the

4 x 20 specification), you need also to create the fonts and bit-block-transfers (usually called blits) to copy the font patterns to the proper areas of the framebuffer.

HTH

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

RTFM. Or in this case "Firmware Demystified" by Sutter. When you've read and understood that, come back with questions that aren't "do my project for me".

pete

--
pete@fenelon.com "That is enigmatic. That is textbook enigmatic..." - Dr Who
                 "There's no room for enigmas in built-up areas." - N Blackwell

Hi Pete,

H> kris2552 wrote:

Reply to
kris2552

Hi Tauno Voipio,

Thank you very much for your detailed reply and thank you for ur time. I have both lcd and keyboard drivers with me and the present task is to create that command line interpreter.may I get any suggestions regarding that aspect...how to proceed so that i can get a better idea ......

Thank you, Kris.

Tauno Voipio wrote:

Reply to
kris2552

(-- top-posting corrected --)

You did not respond to my first question - so I'll repeat it:

Homework / study project?

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Hi, You are using Linux (frame buffer) so you can use the busybox that includes a shell and many of the most used unix commands its a great tool box. Check it out at busybox.net

Regards, Iyed Bennour Embedded systems eng> Hi all! I am newbie to embedded. I was asked to create a simple shell

Reply to
Iyed.Bennour

Hello, Its a part of my Training work in my college..

Thanq.

Reply to
kris2552