[Shameless Plug] -- Embedded Systems Conference

I'll be delivering two presentations -- PID Without a PhD, and Basic
Control Theory for Software Engineers.  More details at
http://www.esconline.com/sf/index.htm .

This being the ESC, they've put the advanced class before the
prerequisite -- oh well.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Just teach it in reverse and tell your students to push the material on their
internal stacks and pop through later on when they get a chance.  ;)

Jon

Re: [Shameless Plug] -- Embedded Systems Conference

Best wishes to you, Tim. I had noticed you in the preliminary program.
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "Though you ride on the wheels of tomorrow,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  you still wander the fields of your

Basic

Why do they always have the ESC in San Francisco?
I can't go there, and wouldn't if I could.
The Anaheim Convention center site would be a better choice!
Or even Los Vegas!

Re: [Shameless Plug] -- Embedded Systems Conference
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 03:17:46 GMT, the renowned "Clarence_A"

Restraining order?

There are branch ones all over- Boston, Chicago, Shenzhen
(
http://www.speff.com/shenzhen.gif), München etc. I doubt they are as
good as the original.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: [Shameless Plug] -- Embedded Systems Conference

and

Company will not pay for anything in the SF area, they say it is
too expensive.  They will pay in Anaheim or LV! I've even been
allowed to book in Phoenix and Denver (Gun Barrel, CO). Just NOT
SF!

No other explanation!

Re: [Shameless Plug] -- Embedded Systems Conference

So you can't go to New York, Boston, Chicago, and any other major city?  I
don't find San Francisco any more expensive than any of the above, in fact I
think I usually pay less in San Fran.  I usually use Expedia or Hotels.com
or some other discount broker, and don't stay at the conference hotels ...

----
Ron Huizen
BittWare

Re: [Shameless Plug] -- Embedded Systems Conference

San Francisco is not necessarily more expensive than those other cities,
if you avoid the big hotels downtown. One option is to find a hotel near
CalTrain or Bart. These are the commuter rail services. You can walk from
either to the convention center. I stay with family and do this several
times a year. Don't rent a car, parking will kill you.

Air tickets are usually available at discount rates if you plan ahead. I
pay from $200-$250 from Minneapolis.

If I wanted to go, I would predetermine hotels and travel options, and
then talk to the powers that be.

--
Al Clark
Danville Signal Processing, Inc.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Re: [Shameless Plug] -- Embedded Systems Conference
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 07:20:21 -0800, Tim Wescott

[snip]

SPIKED pink hair ;-)

                                        ...Jim Thompson
--
|  James E.Thompson, P.E.                           |    mens     |
|  Analog Innovations, Inc.                         |     et      |

[...]

Hey, it worked on Gwen Stefani.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Then, it's off to
                                  at               RED CHINA!!

Someone presented a $1,200 expense report for a one night stay:
claimed it was because the hotels were so expensive.  Wouldn't
have anything to do with a pair of hookers?  Nah....

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Consulting Engineer:  Electronics; Informatics; Photonics.

Perhaps they should just not reimburse expenses for "room service".

--
  Keith

Re: [Shameless Plug] -- Embedded Systems Conference

it is
stay:
service".

I suspect it was abuse by sales people that got this policy in
place.  Diners for four at $900, and renting a Ferrari for a week!
But no one will say!  Funny too, they spring for a three day
weekend in SD at a nice beach side place for the entire staff with
family, as a Christmas party!  But travel is tight!

Re: [Shameless Plug] -- Embedded Systems Conference

Your PHBs totally lost control then.  We have a meal and hotel "allowance"
that was foisted on us because of idiots like this.  Last I checked a
couple hundred a night wasn't unreasonable for a hotel room in SF (maybe
$150 because of our leverage) and $60ish in food per day.  It is one of
the more expensive places, but there it makes no sense to arbitrarily make
a city off-limits because of a few fools.

Hey, The PHBs sprung for a day off at Thanksgiving.  I didn't see it as
that big a deal since we're all salaried.  The same work had to get done.
We'll see what our bonus looks like this year.  Last year I made $10K less
than five years ago.  I'm thinking about moving on...  I've done my time.

--
  Keith

Re: [Shameless Plug] -- Embedded Systems Conference

details at
the
is
NOT

That would be an improvement over the (very high) lack of forehead
cover!
It would go well with the rest, gray!

Re: [Shameless Plug] -- Embedded Systems Conference

You can, of course, read the material on my web site which covers the
talks one way or another.  Throwing rotten vegetables at your own
computer screen is, however, much less satisfying than using them on a
presenter.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Re: [Shameless Plug] -- Embedded Systems Conference

details at
the

<snip>

covers the
own
them on a

Read the article in the MAG.  Fairly simplified and quite useful
for explaining to management.   However the Thermal side was very
over simplified.  Our app required 5 to 9 zone control of a
cylindrical furnace (semiconductor processing. (LPE and CID) so
the interaction and variation due to horizontal and vertical tubes
were of major concern.

Fortunately, I do not do the Process Furnaces anymore, that
customer was bought and the entire factory moved out. (We do
system level consulting.)

Re: [Shameless Plug] -- Embedded Systems Conference
Yes, it was.  I wanted something that didn't include an intrinsic
integrator, and I didn't want to spend days on a real thermal model.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Re: [Shameless Plug] -- Embedded Systems Conference

If you think it's expensive to go to SF to see
a conference, just try exhibiting at one...

Site Timeline