shame on MISRA

In news:oLSPh.494$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net timestamped Sun, 01 Apr

2007 18:22:12 GMT, ChrisQuayle posted: "[..]

How can you make any comparison if you have no knowledge of the standard. [..]"

You do have a point that this certainly limits my ability. I am however aware that C without MISRA is unsafe and full Ada is unsafe and that full Ada is not nearly as bad as full C. True, one could argue that a subset of C could be safer than some subset of Ada. However, some restrictions (such as requiring no dead (never reachable) code in a switch statement) can not happen in Ada, so I am not convinced that starting by placing restrictions on something which was far less suitable as a starting point is a good approach.

" To put this into perspective, it costs only approx 10.00 uk pounds,"

That is a pretty sane price.

" less that you would pay for [..] beers."

As I am responsible, the price of the MISRA C standard is infinitely times more than I would pay for such poison that impairs the faculty of prudent judgment, impaired to such an extent that people are not able to safely drive cars with MISRA C. Have I detected the reason you are so defensive of MISRA C?

" Isn't such an effort worth something in terms of professional development ?."

Yes, but ultimately I really doubt that the greatness of Ada will be unproven by MISRA C and Ada is fit for purpose and I own hundreds of monetary units' worth of other books for my professional development which I do not have time to read promptly.

"In any case, your logic is flawed. It doesn't follow that because one object in a class of objects is available at no cost, all the rest of the objects in that class should be free, which in effect is what you are arguing."

True. MISRA C contains something worth hiding, and charging money for it is one way to deter people from it. Or should I mention that my pro-C++ tutor does not wave around a bought copy of the C++ standard when saying that he hoped that I would inject C++ into our code?

The MISRA C standard may cost money for a valid reason. I have a valid reason to use another standard instead without needing to pay for it. If I needed to pay for some standard, I could, if I needed it (e.g. VHDL (though actually I think that some of the VHDL ex-standards and maybe the VHDL standard eventually became free on the ludicrously inadequate and usually not gratis IEEEXplore)), but in the MISRA C versus Ada debate I see nothing to convince me that MISRA C is worthwhile and that being the case, it is not a good advertisement for spending money on it.

"> I am paid entirely by taxes as a researcher, so of course all of my

ew

If you are a researcher, perhaps you would care to comment further on the outrageous charges for online research reports these days, both current and historical. Much of the work originally funded by the taxpayer, but being openly sold at prices that make them inaccessable to all but well heeled individuals or large organisations. $25 to $50 per report, or several thousand dollars per annum is not unusual, for stuff that has already been paid for. The results of publicly finded research should be available at cost to anyone who wishes to access it, but that's far from the case now. [..] a greedy, grasping attitude.

[..]"

As I made clear, the greed and unaccountability and secretiveness of researchers is a disgrace. I do not restrict this complaint to "online research". I do not really seem to have anything else to say about that.

"[..]

[..] C++ may have a role for consumer electronics applications, where recovery is usually power off and reboot, but is it really ready or appropriate for mission critical work ?..."

I do not know whether this is really true, but in the so-called Republic of Ireland I shockingly heard of one deployed (and not recalled) life-critical embedded medical software product which is very crash prone, but which is designed to have a very quick reboot time (far less than one second) such that it is expected that crashing does not make the product unsafe. The person who claimed this said that for his own work (business-critical but not life-critical and not medical), he similarly does not bother to design his software so well that it will not crash frequently, and that he tries to have data structures in such a way that they are resilient to corruption from crashes.

Reply to
Colin Paul Gloster

In article , Colin Paul Gloster writes

Until you find some sensible way of replying so your text and quotes are distinguishable it is pointless trying to reply. It gets unreadable.

/\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org      www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
Chris Hills

In article , Colin Paul Gloster writes

Can you justify that statement? You are disagreeing with many experts.

What?

The only people who say this are people like you who decry MISRA-C but use the cost as an excuse for not having read the standard they are de-crying.

It cost a lot to develop.

/\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org      www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
Chris Hills

I agree. If he doesn't defensive plonks seem the only answer.

CBFalconer

I see no restrictions on that page. I believe any such are not compatible with GPL licensing, which it claims.

CBFalconer

Ada was an investment by the US government in order to directly reduce software acquisition and reliability costs.

However, by making the Ada specification generally available, it was hoped that Ada would be used also outside US DoD projects.

When there are other companies using the same tools as the traditional military contractors, this could increase competition also in DoD contracts, thus pushing prices down.

Clearly, this was an investment that failed at least partially. The Ada project should not be considered as some kind of subsidy to the IT industry.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

Apparently you expect to sell thousands of these, if you expect to cover even the handling costs :-).

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

Op Sat, 31 Mar 2007 03:00:12 +0200 schreef Robert Adsett =

:
.
)

Conversion to whatever the correct type is, would be as easy as:

variable =3D (typeof(variable)) (variable + 1);

More at:

Gemaakt met Opera's revolutionaire e-mailprogramma:  =

http://www.opera.com/mail/
Reply to
Boudewijn Dijkstra

In article , Paul Keinanen writes

The printed version costs 25 GBP (about 45 USD these days) the PDF costs the 10GBP

Also several very large companies (IE most of the automotive ones ) bout site licenses for the PDF

The aim was not to make money but to cover costs.

It costs a LOT to develop a standard like MISRA-C

/\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org      www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
Chris Hills

At those sorts of prices it is a lot easier for many organisations to at least get the standards, considering how expensive standards can be. The classic example is VESA, where you need to obtain several standards to do a job and each one is more than that cost.

    PC Services
             For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul Carpenter

The argument, as given by ACT, is that the GCC Ada implementation requires a runtime library, which is included in a program's executable.

In the distribution at

, the runtime library, along with the other components in that packaging uses the standard GPL. ACT's argument, as i understand it, is that if you distribute binaries created using this version, you must distribute those binaries using the GPL, which requires that your source code also be distributed.

In the FSF version, there is a special exception in the runtime library that states that inclusion of the runtime library does not by itself require that the resulting executable be distributed under the GPL.

It's this special exception (generally referred to as the GNAT Modified GPL or GMGPL) that's missing from the pure GPL version at the above URL.

If you think that all this is confusing to a newcomer to Ada interested in using GCC for Ada programming, then you will get no argument from me.

BTW, as to your question yesterday about Ada in safety critical work, are you aware of what Praxis are doing with SPARK, which is an annotated version of Ada ?

See here for the homepage:

and here for the list of compilers that they support it with:

Once again, please note that I have no experience with this.

Simon.

Microsoft: Bringing you 1980's technology to a 21st century world
Reply to
Simon Clubley

In article , Simon Clubley writes

I think it was me who asked about the use of the ACT/GCC Ada for safety critical work. I am well aware to what Praxis are doing and it is used a lot in safety critical.

My comment was if the GCC version was any use for high integrity projects?

/\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org      www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
Chris Hills

Not having seen anyone using it in such a way, I would have to say no because I have no data points to justify saying yes.

Simon.

Microsoft: Bringing you 1980's technology to a 21st century world
Reply to
Simon Clubley

The point being ?. Would you expect to get a usefull book for nothing that someone has spent considerable time and effort to produce, or should everything be open source and free ?. Of course, including all your own work.

Now that it's a sane price, have just downloaded the misra pdf version [..]

[..]"

Hi,

Due to lectures today; tomorrow; and on Wednesday; and an exam on Wednesday, I pause my reading of new posts in this thread, but I post this... a lecturer said today that a book of his in print is published by McGraw-Hill (in the West) and Tata in India. He is not happy that his book does not sell well in Europe, costing as it does approximately 150 euro for the McGraw-Hill edition. However, the Tata edition costs approximately 7 euro. Sure, money is being charged and the price is comparable to MISRA's, but he said McGraw-Hill's "only purpose is to make money" and this seems to be an example that he would like information to be available.

However, he also claims to have a patent for synthesizing pointers.

Reply to
Colin Paul Gloster
[%X]

When I was working for a railway company a few years back I began counting the number of standards referenced for the whole project. Each of these standards would have had to have been viewed for relevance to each portion of the project. One could, of course, sit in a decent library and methodically go through the standards to select the ones you need to purchase to complete the project, but that sort of effort takes considerable time, especially when there are more than two hundred of them. Of course that was for all the component parts of the whole train.

Paul E. Bennett ....................
Forth based HIDECS Consultancy .....
Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972
Tel: +44 (0)1235-811095
Paul E. Bennett

That would be utterly pointless, because it's what C would already do all by itself, without the need for any cast.

To sum this all up: there's nothing wrong with

variable++;

that use of typeof() could possibly fix.

Typeof() is useful for one thing only: macros that define their own local variables --- a task that really should be done using inline functions instead.

Reply to
Hans-Bernhard Bröker

Don't you understand that (variable + 1) was just an example? How about (variable + 123) ?

VLV

Reply to
Vladimir Vassilevsky

Aha. I see. And I agree, i.e. they have the right to GPL (or any other) their library, rather than LGPL. So their library should have significant advantages over those normally available with GCC. Those need elucidating. This is no different from my releasing hashlib under GPL.

CBFalconer

Actually, the restrictions with the libre.adacore.com is that (pretty much) any executables you distribute that are built with it need to be distributed under the terms of the GPL because the Ada runtime library in that version is GPL and not GPL + Linking exception as is present in the FSF tree and the supported AdaCore version.

Note for the original question (in this renamed thread) there are other Ada compilers (other than GCC derivatives) as well.

Green Hills, DDC-I and Aonix still have actively supported products.

IBM still sells an version that the developers claim is still supported but which is hard to tell from the IBM web pages.

So far, only the compiler from AdaCore has been updated to be compliant with the next Ada spec (which is due to be released this year).

Reply to
Jeffrey Creem

int i; for (i = 123; i > 0; i--) { variable++; }

I wonder how various compilers would optimize this...

http://www.opera.com/mail/
Reply to
Boudewijn Dijkstra