Setup HI-TECH PICC8.02 compiler and MPLab 6.4

Hi all,
I have a problem finding any information on how to set HI-TECH PICC8.02
compiler and MPLab 6.4 (under WinXP).
Especially I need directions how to set project under MPLAB using a
Project\Build Options.

When I try to compile project which has only one file  xxx.c I don't have
any problem.
But when my project includes more source files (xxxx.c, yyyy.c ) and yyy.h
I get an error:
Error[000]: undefined symbol
Error[000]: _main (c:\HT-PIC\Lib\picrt42c.obj
Build Failed ....

I am assuming that this type of error usually results from a project setting
in MPLAB.
It means that MPLAB is ready to link my project but it can't
locate the object files that were just compiled. It will then proceed
to link without any files and will result in the above error.

When I am creating my project I include my source files and header files
(I am adding them to the project).
Do I also need an extra set Library and Include Paths in MPLAB Project\Build
Options. ?

Can somebody give me a link or a good description how to set
HI-TECH PICC8.02 compiler and MPLab 6.4 ?

Gerry
Thanks in advance,

Re: Setup HI-TECH PICC8.02 compiler and MPLab 6.4

===SNIP===

http://www.htsoft.com/software/updates/mplab/mplab6/update.htm

--
Dan Henry

Re: Setup HI-TECH PICC8.02 compiler and MPLab 6.4

MPLAB update for PICC v8.02  did not solve my problem.

Gerry

Re: Setup HI-TECH PICC8.02 compiler and MPLab 6.4
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 08:46:27 -0500, the renowned "G_swidwin"

IIRC, there's some kind of an issuse with the length of file paths on
that compiler (which is still DOS-y at the core). You might try moving
your files to a directory closer to the root, especially if you're
using Win2K etc.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: Setup HI-TECH PICC8.02 compiler and MPLab 6.4

Yes, this may be it. I found that using short path and filenames *without*
spaces allowed me to use MPLAB and PICC. E.g.

c:\proj\foo\foo.c

instead of

c:\program files\long pathname with spaces\fooBarBazBuzz.c

--
- Mark ->
--

Re: Setup HI-TECH PICC8.02 compiler and MPLab 6.4
On 30 Dec 2003 15:32:10 GMT, the renowned "Mark A. Odell"

You can fool it into working with the latter by running something like
this at startup:

subst M: "c:\program files\long pathname with spaces\fooBarBazBuzz.c"

Then you can use M:\fooBarBazBuzz.c

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: Setup HI-TECH PICC8.02 compiler and MPLab 6.4

Excellent tip. In fact I do something similar so that I always develop
from the P: drive (P for Projects) no matter where I am. E.g. at home I
have c:\projects mapped as p: and when I go to clients' networks I just
need to map my source tree appropriately to ensure that p: starts at my
project root dir.

--
- Mark ->
--

Re: Setup HI-TECH PICC8.02 compiler and MPLab 6.4
On 30 Dec 2003 16:37:37 GMT, the renowned "Mark A. Odell"

Thanks. BTW, I should not have pasted his file name into the subst
line though. ;-) Sheesh! More cappuccino, please.

subst M: "c:\program files\long pathname with spaces"

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: Setup HI-TECH PICC8.02 compiler and MPLab 6.4

Another caution:  If you set that up in autoexec.bat you will have
to use the short filenames in the subst command, because long
filename support does not exist when autoexec is executed.  At
least for W9x.

Re: Setup HI-TECH PICC8.02 compiler and MPLab 6.4
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 18:31:07 GMT, the renowned CBFalconer

It's not necessary under Win2K.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: Setup HI-TECH PICC8.02 compiler and MPLab 6.4

Since that Win9x is unusable for anything but testing the reset switch on
one's PC I don't see this as a practical problem. :-)

--
- Mark ->
--

Re: Setup HI-TECH PICC8.02 compiler and MPLab 6.4

My practice is to reboot every couple of weeks, or whenever
something else aborts.  My system keeps a record, of which the
following is an extract:

Booted at 10-03-03 21:37:36
Booted at 10-09-03 14:48:30
Booted at 10-15-03 17:22:36
Booted at 10-25-03 14:44:18
Booted at 10-26-03 05:02:40
Booted at 11-16-03 16:09:04
Booted at 11-19-03 11:36:02
Booted at 11-30-03 11:29:34
Booted at 12-06-03 11:43:33
Booted at 12-17-03 10:35:01
Booted at 12-19-03 16:25:04
Booted at 12-26-03 19:01:24

(I was away, and the machinery shut down, between 12-19 and
12-26).  This is running W98.  It runs a minimum of Microsoft
software.  The shell is 4dos.

Conceded, W98 can be harmed by runaway applications.  So can
anything in supervisor or root mode or the equivalent.  There is
nothing preventing use in a semi-intelligent manner.

Re: Setup HI-TECH PICC8.02 compiler and MPLab 6.4

[snip]

Why not just get Win2k? It's *far* more robust, especially if used in a
semi-intelligent manner.

--
- Mark ->
--

Re: Setup HI-TECH PICC8.02 compiler and MPLab 6.4

I can't stomach the EULA, and I don't want anything denying me
access to my own machine.  I see no reason to encourage Microsoft
in any way.  Color me fogy.

Re: Setup HI-TECH PICC8.02 compiler and MPLab 6.4

Fair enough.

--
- Mark ->
--

Re: Setup HI-TECH PICC8.02 compiler and MPLab 6.4--> win98 / 2k

 [snip]

Don't you have any programs that don't run on win2k?   I have a few.  I have
one win98 on one PC for that reason, and win2k on two others.
My win98 machine will run for days if I decide to leave it on, but I don't
see any need for that.

Mark

Re: Setup HI-TECH PICC8.02 compiler and MPLab 6.4--> win98 / 2k

Not one. I refuse to support developers who don't support the NT-based
OS's (or Linux).

I have mine on 24/7 so I just couldn't deal with Wintendo versions of
Windows. I can appreciate that there are some reasons to continue using it
however.

- Mark ->