Serial Tcp device (Tcp client mode)

I am looking for a device, a variant of Serial Tcp device server which can open a tcp connection to a server on a specified port and transfer data back and forth between serial port and our server whenever a request starts on the serial port. The device should close the tcp connection after 30 seconds of inactivity.

The device should configure its network interface using a dhcp server on the network. The serial port baud rates should also be configurable like other Serial Tcp device servers.

Note: The serial port is connected to a Pos terminal using 3 wires - Tx Rx and Gnd. The device will have to poll on the serial port for data. It cannot rely on DCD, DTR or DSR for presence of data.

POS terminal Serial Tcp device (Tcp client mode) Internet Transaction Server

I need a quite a few of these devices, 300 to start with. Do you guys know of any such device?

Reply to
Pratik

Sounds like a neat opportunity!

While this isn't a difficult spec, your requirements are pretty special-purpose. Consider adapting an existing product like

which is designed to be tailored - by far the fastest / easiest option since its ready to go except for code tweaks. And it'd be easy to adapt if you want to customize the physical interfaces, etc.

If space is a concern, you could look at building one with the Lantronix X-Port or Digi's Digi-Me MCU-in-an-ethernet-jack units. The development time would be low, but the cost would be higher. Similarly, something like a RabbitSemiconductor.com module or many similar products could be used to quickly design your own, but the size will be larger.

Richard

Reply to
Richard H.

The company I used to work for makes widgets that do that:

I think it will meet your requirements right out of the box. If not, there's a software development kit available with which you can write a custom application to put into flash.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  .. I wonder if I
                                  at               ought to tell them about my

Hi Pratik,

Take a look at the iConnector device from

- it is a small neat gadget that has a serial port connection and can dial out via normal or GPRS modems and provides a simple interface for Http, FTP, email etc. One feature, called SerialNET, appears to provide a transparent serial interface over the Internet but I haven't used that portion yet.

Works great for me, used on our headless SBC-based controller to FTP files and send email, and is about US$90 in single pieces although I heard several feature specific versions are coming out for about US$45 each. BTW, I am not associated with them - just a customer.

Good luck.

Harnek Axel Systems (SGP)

Reply to
S. Harnek

There is the uNetserial device that is alot like the iConnector for about $35.

-M

Reply to
mike