Serial Tcp device (Tcp client mode)

I am looking for a device, a variant of Serial Tcp device server which
can open a tcp connection to a server on a specified port and transfer
data back and forth between serial port and our server whenever a
request starts on the serial port.
The device should close the tcp connection after 30 seconds of
inactivity.

The device should configure its network interface using a dhcp server
on the network. The serial port baud rates should also be configurable
like other Serial Tcp device servers.

Note: The serial port is connected to a Pos terminal using 3 wires - Tx
Rx and Gnd. The device will have to poll on the serial port for data.
It cannot rely on DCD, DTR or DSR for presence of data.

POS terminal <-> Serial Tcp device (Tcp client mode) <-> Internet <->
Transaction Server

I need a quite a few of these devices, 300 to start with. Do you guys
know of any such device?

Re: Serial Tcp device (Tcp client mode)
 > Tcp device server which can open a tcp connection
 > to a server on a specified port and transfer data
 > back and forth between serial port and our server
 > whenever a request starts on the serial port.

Sounds like a neat opportunity!

While this isn't a difficult spec, your requirements are pretty
special-purpose.  Consider adapting an existing product like
http://www.picoweb.net , which is designed to be tailored - by far the
fastest / easiest option since its ready to go except for code tweaks.
And it'd be easy to adapt if you want to customize the physical
interfaces, etc.

If space is a concern, you could look at building one with the Lantronix
X-Port or Digi's Digi-Me MCU-in-an-ethernet-jack units.  The development
time would be low, but the cost would be higher.  Similarly, something
like a RabbitSemiconductor.com module or many similar products could be
used to quickly design your own, but the size will be larger.

Richard

Re: Serial Tcp device (Tcp client mode)

The company I used to work for makes widgets that do that:

  http://www.comtrol.com/products/catalog.asp?product=dmrts

I think it will meet your requirements right out of the box. If
not, there's a software development kit available with which
you can write a custom application to put into flash.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  .. I wonder if I
                                  at               ought to tell them about my

Take a look at the iConnector device from http://www.connectone.com - it is
a small neat gadget that has a serial port connection and can dial out via
normal or GPRS modems and provides a simple interface for Http, FTP, email
etc. One feature, called SerialNET, appears to provide a transparent serial
interface over the Internet but I haven't used that portion yet.

Works great for me, used on our headless SBC-based controller to FTP files
and send email,  and is about US$90 in single pieces although I heard
several feature specific versions are coming out for about US$45 each. BTW,
I am not associated with them - just a customer.

Good luck.

Harnek
Axel Systems (SGP)

Re: Serial Tcp device (Tcp client mode)

There is the uNetserial device that is alot like the iConnector for about
$35. www.nchip.com

-M

Site Timeline