Serial+power over single coax cable

And many hams have been killed or injured by their own rigs.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
CBFalconer

Considering that working up a SPICE model of multiple nodes does not take that long to do, this would answer such questions quite rapidly. It would also allow exploring a number of options of ideal supply voltage and current.

Paul E. Bennett ....................
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul E. Bennett

OK, so now you've admitted as much, I'll bite.

I'm not a HAM, but us Germans being who we are ;-), it's bound to be regulated by federal law just as strictly as electrical work is. IIRC, HAM licensing is handled by a federal institution here (our version of the FCC), and the exams before you get a license are pretty heavy.

Well, this is Germany after all, possibly the only country in the western world where the guilds still hold most of the same privileges they did in the year 1400. E.g. some local chapters of the guild of electricians managed to sue computer/telekom system integrators out of business, because they did "electrical installation" (as in: they dared to lay network cables), but didn't have a guild "Meister" on their payroll, without which it's forbidden to run such a business.

Hans-Bernhard Broeker

I was stationed in Neu-Ulm in 1972, with the US Army. Now that you mention it, I recall that even on-base the power system had a very clear this-is-yours /this-is-ours separation of what the tradespeople handled and what we took care of. I enjoyed several pleasant days off while the local electricians took down the power to do some "necessary" rewiring.

Between that and having worked several years with an old immigrant German mechanical engineer, I've a fair understanding of how your system works.

It may be a little inconvenient for engineering, but it makes for fine beer (:

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Well with anything directly to do with domestic mains wiring, things are about to change in the UK with the introduction of Part P of the IEE wiring regs which require all such work to be done by a (licensed) qualified person.

However, anything you do to something that just plugs into the mains is still regulation free though not hazard free ;-)

Ian

--
Ian Bell
Reply to

Thanks for mentioning it, Hans-Bernhard. It depends on the circumstances whether alternatives exist. I know of more than one remotely operated submarine used for inspection, that they use the coax for video, data and power.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

To me this is ridiculous. All you need is ohms law and an old envelope to scratch out a preliminary feasibility study. If things are orders of magnitude out of whack, stop thinking about it. If there is are orders of magnitude of margin, go for it. If it is close, hire Paul Bennett to resolve it.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
CBFalconer

Ground your rig before it grounds you.

Tauno Voipio (OH2UG, since early 60's) tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Reply to
Tauno Voipio