Serial port through dos window

Hi
 I'm doing serial transfers to an external system from
a PC. I'm able to run without errors when I boot a straight
DOS system but when using Windoz and running in a DOS window,
it doesn't work well. I'm not sure yet if it is a data over run
problem or that windoz is messing with my serial data.
 Has anyone else dealt with this problem? Is there something
I can do from windoz to keep it from messing with my DOS
program?
Thanks
Dwight

Re: Serial port through dos window

I agree that a native Win32 app would be best, but if the OP needs to
run legacy code for some reason, then I suggest "Restart in MS-DOS
mode" if the OS is Win95/98.  Even in that "DOS-hack" OS, the legacy
serial ports are virtualized, and Windows does get involved.  But when
you "Restart in MS-DOS mode", you really do get pure DOS with no
Windows interference.

-Robert Scott
 Ypsilanti, Michigan
(Reply through newsgroups, not by direct e-mail, as automatic reply address is
fake.)

Re: Serial port through dos window
On 16 Jul 2003 12:07:30 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (dwight elvey)

Use Control Panel ==> System ==> Device Manager and remove Windoz
control of the port. I once had one DOS app running in one window out
com1 talking to another DOS program in another window using com2. In
using two windows I would see "dropped" characters until I turned the
port off in device manager. Very easy to turn them off and back on as
you wish. Hope this helps.

Dale

Re: Serial port through dos window

Thanks Dale
 This is what I thought but didn't know where to look.
Dwight

Re: Serial port through dos window

We used WfW3.11 to multitask 8 programs that used a serial port to copy a
file to punched tape. Worked like a charm after tweaking the PIF's

Wim

Site Timeline