Serial port through dos window

Hi I'm doing serial transfers to an external system from a PC. I'm able to run without errors when I boot a straight DOS system but when using Windoz and running in a DOS window, it doesn't work well. I'm not sure yet if it is a data over run problem or that windoz is messing with my serial data. Has anyone else dealt with this problem? Is there something I can do from windoz to keep it from messing with my DOS program? Thanks Dwight

Reply to
dwight elvey

I agree that a native Win32 app would be best, but if the OP needs to run legacy code for some reason, then I suggest "Restart in MS-DOS mode" if the OS is Win95/98. Even in that "DOS-hack" OS, the legacy serial ports are virtualized, and Windows does get involved. But when you "Restart in MS-DOS mode", you really do get pure DOS with no Windows interference.

-Robert Scott Ypsilanti, Michigan (Reply through newsgroups, not by direct e-mail, as automatic reply address is fake.)

Reply to
Robert Scott

Use Control Panel ==> System ==> Device Manager and remove Windoz control of the port. I once had one DOS app running in one window out com1 talking to another DOS program in another window using com2. In using two windows I would see "dropped" characters until I turned the port off in device manager. Very easy to turn them off and back on as you wish. Hope this helps.

Dale

Reply to
Dale Chase

Thanks Dale This is what I thought but didn't know where to look. Dwight

Reply to
dwight elvey

We used WfW3.11 to multitask 8 programs that used a serial port to copy a file to punched tape. Worked like a charm after tweaking the PIF's

Wim

Reply to
Wim Ton