serial data transmission in 8051

hii,

I have been trying in vain to transmit and receive a string in 8051. First character gets displayed on the lcd, but the rest do not. I shorted RXD and TXD pins. The code in c is as follows:

void main() { unsigned char char_to_write[] = "hello, this is the data"; RECEIVED = 0; init_timer(); init_lcd(); initialize_serial(); pass_cmd(0x80); display_routine(char_to_write); while(1); }

void display_routine(unsigned char *this_is) { while(*this_is) { SBUF = *this_is++; TI = 1; while(!RECEIVED); RECEIVED = 0; } }

void init_timer() \\for 4800 baud rate { TICK = 0; EA = 1; ET0 = 1; TMOD = 1; TH0 = 0XFC; TL0 = 0X18; }

void initialize_serial() { SCON = 0X50; TMOD = 0X20; TH1 = 0XF3; TR1 = 1; EA = 1; ES = 1; }

void serialint() interrupt 4 { if(TI) TI = 0; if(RI) { pass_data((unsigned char)SBUF); // displays SBUF value on lcd. RI = 0; RECEIVED = 1; } }

I dont find any problem with lcd display function or timer function. Any help will be appreciated. Thanx, digitalBug

Reply to
DigitalBug

I think you lcd rutine is to slow, so the string on the serial port is transmitted before you have written 1 char in your lcd...

recieve the whole string before you write it to the lcd... or at least move it out from the IRQ rutine and have a recieve buffer... then you can start to write out before...

Kasper

Reply to
Repzak

Yes, have your serial ISR move the data into a buffer, and nothing else. Then have your background (app/main/idle) loop polling the buffer for new data and write to the LCD from there.

Regards, Mark

Reply to
Mark McDougall

Hii folk,

It works... Thank you repzak and mark for your generous help. Sharaf

Reply to
DigitalBug