serial communication between 8051 and BOB-3

Hi, I am working on a project which is intended to overlay some parameters of interest on to a TFT-LCD display. I am using BOB-3 (basic overlay board) from decade engineering as the overlay module. This module requires serial data signal to be overlaid onto a video signal. I have decided on using a 8051 development kit from KEIL to send data serially to BOB-3. I am using a small assembly code(listed below) that sends TWO character "H" and "I" to the TXD pin of 8051 for testing BOB-3. I see some garbage characters displayed on the display monitor (TV monitor) while the code is being downloaded to 8051 from PC. After the download completes there is no character printed to the display. I am not able to figure out what the problem could be. Any help is highly appreciated. Also I am interested in developing the code in 'C'. Can any of you suggest me a good book or online material to learn embedded C in particular to programming 8051.

CODE: ORG 0 MOV TMOD, #20H MOV TH1, #-3 MOV SCON, #50H SETB TR1

MOV SBUF, # "H" ACALL CHKTI MOV SBUF, # "I" ACALL CHKTI

CHKTI: JNB TI, CHKTI CLR TI RET END

Reply to
rakimon