Serial ADC Recommendation

What do you recommend for a non-critical 8+ bit 2+ channel ADC for use with
an 8051? I have been using a TLC549 which was OK but now need another
input.A MCP3202 should do the job unless I can find  a better  alternative.
Is there an "Industry Standard" here?

TIA
Arthur

Re: Serial ADC Recommendation

There are at least half a dozend manufacturers
making such parts. These parts differ in the
specifications. Look them up.

Rene

Re: Serial ADC Recommendation

I realize that there are many available device types. I don't need anything
very exotic so my main concern is to select a popular device which will
still be in production some years from now.

Arthur

Re: Serial ADC Recommendation
Hello Arthur,

There are a few tricks of the trade to figure out which one might have a
long product life:

+ Very low price.
+ Arrow and other distributors have lots of stock.
+ Digikey and others small qty distributors have lots of stock.
+ Device already has several years of market exposure.
+ Lots of hits on a Google search.
+ Shows up in a lot of schematics other than those of its mfg.
+ Doesn't combine too many functions (no "panacea" or "boutique" part)

To me, if small qty distributors don't have it in stock that is usually
a warning sign.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Re: Serial ADC Recommendation
Arthur,

I usually prefer Linear Technology parts as they tend to be easier to obtain, in
my experience.  My second choice would be Analog Devices.  Both have pretty
decent selection guides on their web sites to help you in selecting the "right"
one.

Hope this helps.

--
James T. White