Ser/Par-port to USB-based flash-mem-sticks ?

USB-based flash-mems have flooded the market, and are very cost effective. Yet still many machines in use don't have USB ports.

Apparently the USB-based flash-mem-sticks are SCSI based. Which will be replaced first [by USB]: ser [RS232] or par-port ?

I always thought of the par-port [centronics] as being the most 'universal', and that's why Iomega chose the make a par-port external Zip-drive. Probably the par-port, even with minimum input lines - 3 I think - is faster than RS232 ?

There could be a lot of users for adaptors for USB-flash.

Including a notebook, of my 4 machines only one has USB-ports. So a main advantage of USB-flash tranporting data between machines is not available. Diskette is becoming increasingly unreliable and annoying ?

== Chris Glur.

Reply to
news

Only in third-world countries, I suspect. Machines old enough to lack USB are curbside trash in America. In fact, last trash day I picked up two Celeron 433MHz systems from local streets (I didn't bother to rescue the monitors, because they were CRTs).

The parallel port doesn't have enough bandwidth to do USB in realtime, so your adapter would have to be intelligent enough (=expensive enough) to handle all the protocol details, buffering, etc.

Reply to
larwe

In addition to that, parallel ports are following their serial brothers and are quickly disappearing from modern machines, (laptops in particular,) contradicting the OP statement:

In fact, in the not so far future, we are more likely to find serial or parallel ports as USB adapters than in their original form.

(By the way Lewin, Happy New Year!)

Reply to
Roberto Waltman

I've been dragged kicking and screaming into the USB emulator age, by the way. *sigh*

Happy new one to you too :) How are things with you? Life is weird and varied here in NYC as usual.

Reply to
larwe

Forget about 'will be'. Both have been replaced by it gradually, and that process is just about completed. It's already almost impossible to find any new peripherals sporting a serial or parallel port. They're all connected via either USB, IEEE1394, LAN or some wireless technology, these days. The bulk of mass market PCs haven't had classic ports for quite a while, and the exceptions are becoming rarer by the week.

Alas, it's also the least well-specified. You could always easily have more trouble with a single parallel port than with all the rest of the ports of a standard PC combined.

Faster than a *PC's* usual RS232 port: yes. Faster than RS232 itself: no.

Not really. The only customer base would be people who haven't bought a single new peripheral device for their machine in at least 3 years. All others have upgraded their machines to ones with a USB port.

Hans-Bernhard Broeker