Sens A resistor for L6206?

I wonder if sombody could tell me what is the best value of resistor for SensA and SensB pins for L6206? And what voltage/current levels should I expect back? I don't see any suggestions in their data sheet and I need feedback. Thanks everyone, Walter.

Reply to
Waldemar Pawlowski

Unless you are using external current control, 0 ohms is the right value.

- Sauli

Reply to
Sauli Porttila

I would like to measure the current consumption, for this reason I think I have to connect sensing resistors to those two pins. Is that what you mean by external current control?

Walter.

Reply to
Waldemar Pawlowski

value.

Current sense resistors are needed if you use external circuit for PWM regulation of the load current. You have an inductive load like a motor or solenoid? The overcurrent detection circuit can also be used for current regulation, but as the datasheet says it is not very precise, especially at higher load currents.

With an inductive load and PWM control, using the sense resistor for measuring the (average) load current is not quite straightforward. The current through the sense resistor is not constant and, depending on the decay method, it could be zero (slow decay) or flow into the sense pin (fast decay) during the PWM off time. The document at

shows the current paths with the two decay modes. If you don't use PWM, the situation is simpler.

In any case the resistance of the sense resistor should be as low as possible to minimize the power dissipation, typically below 1 ohm.

-Sauli

Reply to
Sauli Porttila

Look at application note AN1315 from

It uses a different chip, but the sense resistor is actually made up of two .22 ohm resistors in parallel that are 1W rated.

Reply to
Mike V.