Sending SMS text messages to GSM phone

Hi,

I am currently looking in to a project to use a microcontroller to send SMS type text messages to a GSM cellular phone. I have thought about using either a Nokia phone attached to the micro through the Nokia FBus interface or a GSM modem device. What would be the easiest in terms of software writing and is there any web resources on doing this kind of thing ?

TIA, Colin

Reply to
Colin MacDougall

Hi Colin,

Here's a link that will help:

I'd go for using the nokia interface and talk to a nokia phone and send serial data to it from an embedded controller.

Dave.

Reply to
David Powell

"Colin MacDougall" wrote in news:y6qYc.1121 $ snipped-for-privacy@news-text.cableinet.net:

AT commands via RS232 - extremely easy !!

Sam

Reply to
Sam Storm van Leeuwen

Thanks Dave, this is the kind of info I was looking for.

Colin

Reply to
Colin MacDougall

Hi Colin, without wanting to take the fun out of your work, maybe the gadget you want to build was already invented, like e.g. this one:

regards, Mark

Reply to
Mark Piffer

There was something very similar in one of the Atmel journals for the avr.

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

Are these GSM devices available in the US ??

Reply to
hamilton

No idea, I'm not in the US.

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

Thanks for the response.

I guess we here >

Reply to
hamilton

I think the US does have some GSM coverage. Have a look at the countries listed here >

the US is included ! But I don't think the coverage is a wide yet as it is here in Europe.

Colin

Reply to
Colin MacDougall

Thanks for the info and link. My research has shown that dealers here in the US do not have phones that will send SMS via a serial cable.

I have been told thats not allowed in this country.

I was told by T-MOBLE that the FCC does not allow it.

I believe that the carriers don't allow it.

But who really knows, and which phones have this capability ??

Thanks again

hamilton

Reply to
hamilton

Even an old Ericsson T10 has this capability.

--

Wing Wong.
Webpage: http://wing.ucc.asn.au

In .au maybe, but not in the USA.