Sending SMS text messages to GSM phone

I am currently looking in to a project to use a microcontroller
to send SMS type text messages to a GSM cellular phone. I have
thought about using either a Nokia phone attached to the micro
through the Nokia FBus interface or a GSM modem device.
What would be the easiest in terms of software writing and
is there any web resources on doing this kind of thing ?

TIA,  Colin

Re: Sending SMS text messages to GSM phone
Hi Colin,

Here's a link that will help: http://www.embedtronics.com/nokia/fbus.html

I'd go for using the nokia interface and talk to a nokia phone and send
serial data to it from an embedded controller.

Dave.

Re: Sending SMS text messages to GSM phone
Thanks Dave, this is the kind of
info I was looking for.

Colin

Re: Sending SMS text messages to GSM phone
$Lt6.13294782@news-text.cableinet.net:

AT commands via RS232 - extremely easy !!

Sam

Re: Sending SMS text messages to GSM phone

Hi Colin,
without wanting to take the fun out of your work, maybe the gadget you
want to build was already invented, like e.g. this one:
http://www.resi.cc/products/resi-sms-guard/index.php3?language=english

regards,
Mark

Re: Sending SMS text messages to GSM phone

There was something very similar in one of the Atmel journals
for the avr.

Alex

Re: Sending SMS text messages to GSM phone
Are these GSM devices available in the US ??

Re: Sending SMS text messages to GSM phone

No idea, I'm not in the US.

Alex

Re: Sending SMS text messages to GSM phone
Thanks for the response.

I guess we here in the US are still in the dark ages.

Re: Sending SMS text messages to GSM phone

I think the US does have some GSM coverage. Have a look
at the countries listed here >
http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/index.shtml
the US is included ! But I don't think the coverage
is a wide yet as it is here in Europe.

Colin

Re: Sending SMS text messages to GSM phone

Thanks for the info and link. My research has shown that dealers
here in the US do not have phones that will send SMS via a serial cable.

I have been told thats not allowed in this country.

I was told by T-MOBLE that the FCC does not allow it.

I believe that the carriers don't allow it.

But who really knows, and which phones have this capability ??

Thanks again

hamilton

Re: Sending SMS text messages to GSM phone
Even an old Ericsson T10 has this capability.
--

Wing Wong.
Webpage: http://wing.ucc.asn.au

Re: Sending SMS text messages to GSM phone

 >Wing Wong.
 >Webpage: http://wing.ucc.asn.au

In .au maybe, but not in the USA.

Site Timeline