Sending GSM SMS

I am faced with a billing situation in an industrial application that only sends
an SMS message when an alarm condition occurs (once in a blue moon). The
cheapest way, on the face of it, would have been pay as you go, but I'm told by
the supplier of the Siemens TC35 terminal we're using that the network providers
have wised up to low usage and now in the small print they stipulate so much
usage per month. He also told me that certain contracts could be had for about
5UKP per month (ball park figure presumably).

I'm wondering if anyone has faced a similar situation and how they dealt with
it. If not, can someone recommend a network provider that does a PAYG that
doesn't require a minimum usage a month, or a good contract?

Thanks

Brian Logan

Re: Sending GSM SMS

O2 pay-n-go doesn't have a minimum limit.  Be prepared to receive calls with
CID withheld if you'll use them -- a cold calls trying to con you into the
contract.  And there is no need to tell them where and what phone (or module)
you are using the SIM card with.

Out of curiosity -- is the company you've tried T-Mobile by chance?  They are
the winner of "Stupid Security Contest" for "pointless and idiotic financial
security measures" :)

http://www.privacyinternational.org/activities/stupidsecurity/winners.html

HTH,
  Vadim

Re: Sending GSM SMS

The O2 balance is text-based, obtained with *#10# command.

want

I have received a cold call from them the next day I've connected to PAYG.  I
rejected to give any names, addresses, previous numbers, etc -- and they
didn't insist much.

haven't
"have

If you need to pay some minimum monthly, it is no more PAYG, it is
pay-monthly contract. I got an offer from O2 (I could resist :) that if I
spend at least 10 monthly on PAYG I'll get some additional messages, so it
might be this. And I need to make at least one call in six months --
otherwise the network will consider my number dead.

Vadim

Re: Sending GSM SMS

Ah great! At least one provider other than Vodafone does it. :-)

You're right, I hadn't thought of it like that. These are all useful things to
bear in mind when making a final decision as to which way to go and with which
provider.

Thanks for your help.

Brian.

Re: Sending GSM SMS
You might also consider Orange on their OVP Virgin Tarrif. This is the
same tarrif as virgin (no line rental but postal billing). Orange have
the advantage over Virgin of being a bit more switched on when you
phone up for data numbers. I haven't checked the small print recently
about minimum usage on this rate but monthly bills by post are easier
to administer than traditional PAYG. We have similar "problems" with
embedded applications which never make outgoing calls and only receive
incoming data calls. In general these have all been Vodafone or
Orange.

HTH

Iain

www.claritech.co.uk - Hardware and Software Design

Re: Sending GSM SMS

Interestingly enough, just that same tariff was suggested to me in the
uk.telecom.mobile newsgroup. Sounds like the way to go. Save a lot of hassle
with maintenance.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Brian.

Site Timeline